Does anyone on here own a smooth collie? General Chat

Discussion in 'Collie (Smooth)' started by Kazz, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    There used to be one doing agility - a good steady dog but nothing like the border collies. I think he has sadly passed away now.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TBBS

TBBS New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    There were 2 people that used to go to the agility club I went to, both had 2 Smooth Collies each, 3 of them were slow, steady agility dogs, but 1 was quite fast.
  4. tyr

tyr New Member

Name:
    Tyr
    We have a Smoothie! She's a tri bitch, just turned 1. I got her as a companion to our slightly wired and very dog-obsessed Tervueren. Islay, the Smoothie, is a great 'anchor' to our Terv girl. She's is a very easy dog. She stays with me on walks, doesn't chase, greets other dogs nicely, recalls, plays when I want to play, chills when I want to chill - all things I had to work at really hard with my Terv (and it's still work in progress). I often think she's a Labrador in disguise - she loves fuss and wants to say hello to everyone. And... she's food obsessed!

Compared to a BC she's slow. However, Anja the Terv is doing her best at teaching her to play BSD-style. She's since discovered that running is fun (good, as I intend to do bikejoring with her!). A big positive in my books is that she's very level-headed - she stays calm in most situations but if she does get excited, it's very easy to wind her down again.

Given a choice, she'll play with a human rather than a dog. She's easily motivated but very sensitive - when treated harshly, she shuts down. (I'm a bit loud sometimes... she's teaching me better self-control...)

She's only young, but appears much more grown up than Anja. In a year or so, I expect Islay to be in charge. As she's so measured and has excellent doggie manners, she'll make a very good leader.

@Moobli - I totally agree with you about the Rough Collies. There are quite a few breeders of the old type in Germany, some still using old East German stock. I hope that one day someone will start to breed them over here.

Anyway, if you want to know more about the Smooth, just ask! We're not aloof! :grin:

Islay
    [​IMG]
  5. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I have a Rough, but I will have a Blue or Sable Smooth next!
  6. Lama

Lama New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Whether there is a difference in temprement between roughs and smooths depends it seems on who you ask. The official line seems to be there isn't but the breeders don't always agree.

I've owned both and have worked with several. Personally I think there is a difference, the Roughs seem more laid back and dare I say lazy...well for want of a better word.

The smooths seems sharper and more agile. I guess you could argue that the heavy coat on a Rough makes them less inclined to exhert themselves....but I doubt it.

I have a Smooth now and a Rough coated that was in a smooth litter but her coat isn't as heavy as a natural Rough.
  7. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    LOL...I think Pops is the exception to that. She is more active than Sheena my previous Rough was at her age (nearly 9)
  8. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    there are breeders in this country of your preferred type.;-) there are 4 american type males over here now.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011