dog blinking when thrown something to catch Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Jack of ball games, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Jack of ball games

Jack of ball games New Member

Name:
    Rob Brennan
    6JRT's likes this.

dog blinking when thrown something to catch

hi guys

dont know if this can be treated!!! but every time i throw a ball, or a treat, to my little jack russell (11 months) he blinks and turns his head!!!!!\

the last jack russell i had used to catch everything i chucked in his mouth!!!!!

can i train my boy to do the same?? if so, how is it done???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I always say "ready 1 2 3 catch" when I threw a ball or a plastic squeaky stick.
    Doing this gives my 6 JRT's time to watch the ball/stick & not blink as its thrown towards them in surprise
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I guess some dogs are better at it than others. Eddie is brilliant, but Merry prefers to let the ball land and then retrieve it - though she is beginning to catch pieces of food. Has Jack ever been thrown something that was too hard, or that might have caught an eye?

I think I would start by throwing small soft things to him - a light-coloured fluffy toy or rolled up socks. Make sure that he is not facing the sun, and pick a nice easy distance to begin with, say 4 or 5 feet. As Tina says, give him a playful 'Ready' cue, and give the object a little shake to attract his attention onto it. If he does catch, don't take it off him straight away, let him know that he has been really clever and Won It!
    If he doesn't even try to catch, just give him a cuddle, and leave it for a few days before trying again. Always finish on a good note, never let him think that he has failed.
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Anything I throw to Jade just bops her on the head... Lol she just doesn't care to catch things. I gave up long ago.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikva is not really interested in playing games with me but will play with her toys for hours - throwing them around, getting hold of them and throwing them around again.

If only I could get her to go round the place, indoors and outdoors, to bring the toys in and put them in the toy box before she goes to bed... :rolleyes:
  7. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    I had a dog that I taught to catch toys in his mouth but never treats. He always let those land on the ground. He never really enjoyed catching things anyway.
  8. Jack of ball games

Jack of ball games New Member

Name:
    Rob Brennan

thanks

how did you teach him to catch stuff??
  9. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    Started from a short distance just teasing him with a soft, knitted ball, when he got interested I made it easy for him to take it from my hand and rewarded him. Once he got the idea - ball in his mouth - he would want to get the ball. So progressed to throwing it from a few inches towards his mouth. If he caught it, he got rewarded. Then the distance was slowly increased until I could throw it from as far as I wanted and rewards changer from food treats to a game of tug or chase the ball again.