Doggy first aid kit Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Kitkat_, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie

Doggy first aid kit

Does anyone take a first aid kit for their dog(s) with them for hikes or trips camping? I was thinking of making up a small kit to put in a backpack for Billy because I plan to start going camping, on holidays in the woods and hiking with him once I have a car.

I saw one at Crufts but didn't have the money to buy it. So if you have one what do you keep in it? What is an essential and what else do you think is worth adding?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    That is a great idea! I would definitely put bandages of some sort in the kit. Not sure what else...Maybe good old Google will have some ideas.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Must admit, all I have in my show bag is eye/ear wipes, Savlon and a crepe bandage. There is also paracetamol, antibac gel, insect repellant, sting relief, antihistamine and a cooling spray - but that is for my benefit. Perhaps I should rethink my priorities!
  5. puppykisses

puppykisses New Member

Name:
    Andrea
    I bought my animal kit from pet street mall better to be save during the hike. My emergency kit by alcott contains the supplies which can help in mending minor injuries and will also help stabilize my baby in case of emergency.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    When we go camping we have a first aid box with everything in it but for the dogs I just take Vetwrap,Tick Removal Tool, Antihistamine for stings or allergies, and dog boots.
  7. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I think it is great to have one, never know when you might need it. This is off the top of my head some things I keep.

Coflex bandage
    gauze
    surgical tape
    syringes
    tweezers
    scissors
    triple antibiotic ointment
    sutures
    Betadine
    gloves
    antibiotic
    saline wash
    children's benedryl
    Vetericyn
    thermometer with covers
    corona ointment
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think it might include what has been needed in the past and also what might happen/be necessary in the future.

I keep a small first-aid kit in my chair bag, which is suitable for both myself and my dog. At home I have a larger one - also for both of us - which is a bit more comprehensive. I also have a box of spares, so any time something goes from either first-aid kit it is immediately replaced.

As to what is there - I cannot make a list or suggest anything, as what I keep is really basically for me or for my dog. Not so much Tikva now [and hopefully never will be] but Pereg's kit had all her medication and other necessities relating to it.

Three things I would recommend though are the dog version of baby wipes, a small bottle of peroxide and some cotton wool for cleaning wounds.
  9. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Peroxide has been used for ages and it does do an effective job at killing bacteria. What I don't like is the fact it also kills healthy cells, I don't use it on myself or my animals. Others in my household still use it on their cuts and scrapes.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Bulldogs4Life - when Pereg had her shoulder torn open by a stray dog who came into our yard [Pereg being on her tether], the vet who came out flushed the wound with a gentle peroxide solution, then with poviodine, before she stapled the wound.

Since then I keep a small bottle of a gentle peroxide solution to clean any wounds.
  11. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Oh yes it certainly works, we all have our preferences. Most people have peroxide on hand.
  12. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Sorry wrong post