Doggy nails help! Grooming

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica

Doggy nails help!

Seems like I've been posting here quite a bit lately! Everyone is very helpful on here! :) Any advice on trimming doggy nails? I bought a nice nail trimmer (Dremel kind) & today hubs & I attempted to trim Mila's nails...epic fail!:eek: we put her muzzle on & she just refuses to be still & let us do her nails. Its super quiet & doesn't vibrate hard. Shes a big baby tho when it comes down to it!:D lol. What can I do to help her be still & comfortable with us doing her nails? TIA!:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Some dogs do not like the Dremel. All you can do is just do a little on one nail, and reward for letting you do that much. It can take a while for them to accept having a full nail grind. My boy doesn't mind whether he is Dremelled or clipped, but my girl will not tolerate the Dremel at all.
    The best method I have found is to use a Resco a guilottine nail clipper, and to do a triangular cut to be sure that I don't catch the quick. There is a good video illustrating this method by Kikopup on YouTube. Google, Kikopup nail trimming.
  4. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for the info!:) I will try the reward system. It worked for me brushing her. She now lets me brush her without a treat (but i still give her 1 anyways!:D). She absolutely hates her paws being messed with. She'll growl & try to bite us. Her quicks r pretty long & we don't feel comfortable with using the guillotine clippers. So we'll have to Dremel them down til the quick shortens. Its just gonna take time but we'll work it thru!;)
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There is absolutely no way I could trim Tikva's nails even though I have a proper guillotine nail clipper, plus a different kind, and a dremel. She is such a wriggler and so unbelievably strong for a small dog, but as Ram comes here every three months for her Parkworm shot [and her yearly boosters] I let him do it! Tikki adores him so does not object, also he is a very big and strong guy and she knows he is the boss!

It is only her front nails that need trimming though as she spends so much time outside on her hind legs so she can see everything that is going on, so her rear nails keep the perfect length - although Ram does check them when he checks her paws.

Good luck with Mila's nail trimming Jessica! :D