Dog's penis not retracting Health

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by Janet, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.

Dog's penis not retracting

Don't tell Chico I told you.... ...but he had an embarrassing problem last night! He got over -excited and was humping his innocent stuffed dachshund like mad. Afterwards, his penis did not fully retract into the sheath. I wasn't worried at first, but by bedtime it was partly exposed and looking a bit swollen. I hoped it would be back to normal by this morning, but when I looked it was just the same, so decided I'd make an appointment at the vet as soon as they opened.

However, once he trotted out into the garden everything was back to normal.

I googled it, and there were suggestions of bathing it in warm sugared water, and using K9 jelly. Also manually putting it back in. (Any volunteers?) What was worrying was that if it was exposed for too long - I think most people were saying 24 hours - the blood supply could be affected.

Anyway, I'll remove his stuffed toys this evening in the hope it doesn't happen again!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Poor Chico!

This is something that has actually cropped up a few times on Dogsey over the years, here's one such thread Puppy's penis stuck!!! with various tips such as vaseline or cold water... looks like going in the garden in the cold this morning did the trick? :lol:

Also it's possible it went back to normal last night and came back this morning - Rocky was always cleaning his bits first thing!! :lol:
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I had that happen to one of the stud dogs that came to "visit" my little Z the first time I bred her. His owner, my mentor, did warn me that if he did not succeed the first time his penis was liable to get stuck, and she said that if it did happen [it did - twice :roll:] to dunk his rear end in a bowl of water and gently ease it back in.

It is surprising what you do when you have to! :lol:
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I had a Cavalier dog that had this problem a couple of times. In his case it was the hair on the foreskin that rolled under and got caught. Rolling it backwards, to untrap the hair, and a smear of Vaseline worked for him.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @CaroleC IIRC that is what happened with little Twiggy [so nicknamed as he was small even for a Griffon, but a great stud dog all the same] as he was a red rough. Mrs E told me to do it under warm water though, not with Vaseline.

He managed to retract it though once he had finally succeeded with Z.
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Pork1epe1 and CaroleC like this.
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I only hope the police never have occasion to check my computer - I will appear to be some sort of pervert obsessed with dogs' penises.

Everything normal at present I'm pleased to say.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    K9's is always sticking out after he has humped one of his teddies, it can stay out for days, my vets don't seem to be concern at all about it being out.
  9. neil59

neil59 New Member

Name:
    Neil
    I came across this looking for another answer, but here goes. We have a 3 year old long hair sometimes he has the same problem he sleeps in the bedroom with us but every time my wife and I have sex he knows and goes humps his teddy at the same time , this is not one off, every time guaranteed, is it learnt behaviour of does he really know, any ideas
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    The sooner you can retract it the better. Ignore 6JRT's comment above, as if his penis is exposed for a long time it will become very dry and painful. Use Savlon, KY gel, or Vaseline as a lubricant - cool soapy water will do if you have nothing better. Roll the skin backwards to free any hair on the sheath, then let it slide back into place.
    Perhaps your dog should have separate sleeping arrangements if this is happening frequently.