Dogue De Bordeuax Breeders Questions

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by merryvale, Mar 12, 2013.

1. merryvale

merryvale New Member

Name:
    kathy

Dogue De Bordeuax Breeders

Hi one of my friends is in the process of buying a Dogue puppy from a Breeder in Stafford shire. From what I can gather she is a licenced breeder, living in a converted barn on her parents farm. The affix name is Donnajay. I have looked online but have found nothing to suggest this is a breeder to steer clear of. My friend has just lost her Boxer at 11yrs of age and he was plagued his whole life with health problems and my friend is understandably worried about making the wrong choice with her next dog. As I have said I have found nothing bad about this Breeder and she does seem to care about her dogs. Does anyone know or own one of her dogs? And what are your thoughts? This is NOT a Breeder bashing thread so please no nasty comments. Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I would say she needs to find out what health tests are relevant to the breed and ensure both parents have had decent results, not sure about eye testing, but I have all my litters BVA eye screened. Also they have first vax, are microchipped and vet checked, so I would expect all those as a minimum from any breeder of any breed of dog.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree with almost all you say apart from the vaccinations, I dont think its a sign of a bad breeder is they don't give first vaccinations...most breeders I know don`t, and to be honest if I was buying a puppy I would ask the breeder to leave vaccinations to me and my vet , due to the fact they may use different brands and avoiding unnecessary vaccines.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
  5. merryvale

merryvale New Member

Name:
    kathy
    Already checked health tests. Both dam and sire have low hip scores. There are a number of dogs in the pedigrees that have not been scored but I had a chat with the people at discover dogs and apparently hip scoring is a relatively new thing in the breed. In fact as a breed I was told they do not do a lot of testing at all.
  6. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I agree with this. I bought my latest puppy from a breeder in Hertfordshire and her vet used a different vaccine from the one generally used here in Worcestershire. I had three choices:
    1 take him back to Hertfordshire for his second vacc
    2 start the process from scratch
    3 have the second vacc with the different make and hope there are no problems as both manufacturers would deny any responsibility.

I went for no 3 as they are generally the same chemical.
  7. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Hip scoring and health testing in general wasn't a very common thing, I would say only in the last 5-10 years has it been something that people are looking for more and more as we become more clued up in general, but it is showing willing if the breeder is making sure her dogs are scored etc even if it isn't very common in her breed, so I would say that is a very positive sign
  8. merryvale

merryvale New Member

Name:
    kathy
    Yes I agree. As I said I have found nothing about this Breeder that would have me running away, I just want to gather as much info as possible for my friend. By the way she asked me if I could do some checking for her as she knows I am pretty good at finding stuff out in general and can use a computer lol