Dutch shepherds, help locating a breeder. General Chat

Discussion in 'Dutch Shepherd Dog' started by Bogdogs, May 3, 2011.

1. Bogdogs

Bogdogs New Member

Name:
    Lisa

Dutch shepherds, help locating a breeder.

Hello - can anyone please help me in locating a breeder of these dog, many thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Ian Walshaw of Briarquest used to breed them but I think he no longer does, but if you contact him he may be able to put you onto a reputable breeder.
  4. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Which coat type ? Plenty of breeders in the Netherlands, but none in the UK now I think.
  5. Bogdogs

Bogdogs New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Sorry i am posting this for a friend, so just trying to find out any info.
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    If you join k9 protection forum, they will probably be able to help you; there is a guy working a HH in Working Trials at the mo, he is unpapered though. He was planning to bring a bitch in as well, but not seen him for some time.

There is another guy who is just bringing his HH female out (this was from the last litter Briarquest bred) and the litter brother belongs to another triallist but I don't think he is going to be worked as he currently works a Malinois.

I cannot recommend any actual breeders but Peter Branch may be able to put you in touch with people who have HH.
  7. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    If I ever find someone breeding these in the UK, (and I am down to one dog), and my doggy knowledge is much better! I will have one (if its a long hair then even better)

Whether or not my Kerrie is one, the Dutch is a beautiful breed, I hope they never catch on in this country tho
  8. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Here's an interesting link for you

http://www.sevenpineskennel.com/dutch_shepherd_history.htm

I judged these at a show in Perigord -France last year - they are very similar to my own breed ( BSD ) - the colouration of the brindle coat is just beautiful especially in the long coated variety - I found them a very sound, rustic 'natural' looking breed - a word of warning though the gene pool for pure Dutch Shepherds is very small and most that you see are crossed with Malinois .
  9. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I dont mind the crossing so much, my understanding and reading is that BS and DS share a very similar history.
  10. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    yep - they are in fact the same breed in reality - way back brindle BSD were registered as Dutch and red or black Dutch were registered as BSD - a good Dutch shepherd resembles a Belgian very closely with the same body proportions and head type - personally I think that our two breeds gene pools could be usefully shared again as long as we are careful to use typical specimens of both breeds ( i.e not those with GSD in their back ground which changes their phenotype drastically ! )..