Eating his poop?? :( Behaviour

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by KimBGallant, Mar 7, 2017.

1. KimBGallant

KimBGallant New Member

Name:
    Kim Boyd

Eating his poop?? :(

We just got a 1 year old Samoyed and he eats his poop. :( Its gross and I am hoping we can stop him from doing this. We tried giving him more food (we feed him high quality dog food) but he still eats it every once in a while. I am still picking up poop from the yard so he is not eating it all the time but I'm wondering why he does this and will he ever stop?

His poops were runny when we got him, and he would squat, but move while pooping, so it was a mess all over the place, not just one spot. Is there a reason for this?

Can I get him to stop eating his poop?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JodieS

JodieS New Member

Name:
    JodieS
    I have a 14 week old who had same issue. Apparently pineapple in their food makes their poop taste disgusting (or more so). Worked for ours anyhow. Good luck!
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    My girl lived I kennels till she was almost six years old. I was warned by her breeder that she was a poop eater, but didn't realise just how bad she was!
    As she was not house-trained we commenced training her as if she was a puppy, giving her 'quickies' and 'poopoos', (I know, very babyish), a name. Her poop was picked up immediately and she was rewarded at the same time. She does not eat her own any longer, but leaves it as 'evidence' in order to earn her treat.
    However, if anyone has any ideas, (short of a muzzle), for curing her obsession with rabbit poop and discarded chewing gum, I am more than ready to listen!
  5. puppykisses

puppykisses New Member

Name:
    Andrea
    I would suggest that you monitor him from time to time, immediately clean his poop so that he won't eat it. That will be an unhealthy habit that might lead to serious complication in the future. Might as well consult your Veterinarian before its too late.