Eddie's ongoing health problem Health

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Feb 16, 2015.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Eddie's ongoing health problem

You probably will recall that Eddie was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis about 20 months ago. At that time we were warned that those dogs which did not respond to drug treatment or dietary change, often went on to develop bowel cancers. In spite of studying hard, and experimenting with a variety of drug and holistic treatments, we knew that, although we could keep him comfortable, there had been no lasting improvement. Within the last week we began to notice some worrying changes in Eddie's voiding anatomy, and this morning the vet confirmed that there is a rectal mass which needs to be removed.
    It is not all bad news. Because we have been observant, she thinks that they will be able to excise a good margin, and is hopeful that he will make a good recovery. From the shape of the mass we know that it is not the most serious cancer for that location. Of course, a lot will depend on the biopsy result, and also the state of a further patch of ulceration - which we know that he does have, higher up. Eddie was such a good boy for his examination, he trembled, but remained stoic. Unfortunately he is now in starvation mode - which is far worse for a Beagle!
    I will post when I have news, forgive me if I'm a little less chatty for a while. Wish him luck.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    Aww poor Eddie, I hope everything goes ok for him.

My next suggestion would have been introduction of anti-microbials (while sticking with the probiotics).

Sending you big *hugs*
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tell me more about anti-microbials please Azz. Any links?
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Just had a quick Google - He did have a course of metronidazole after his colonoscopy. Also a course of enrofloxacine about a year ago - if that counts as an anti-microbial!
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Everything crossed here for Eddie - cuddles for him and (((hugs))) for you. xx
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    There are a lot Carole - the first thing I would want to do is try to figure out what microbe is causing the problem.

Can you remember which tests he's had? Has he had a parasite or other stool test? Has he had a urnine PH test?

Have you or anyone in the family got any digestive issues? IBS, ulcers, H Pylori etc?

Three main possible causes -

Bacterial
    Fungal
    Parasite/protozoal

Lots of speculation that UC is down to the MAP bacteria.

You could try attacking on all angles - that's actually what a lot of people do when they think something's up but can't pin-point it.

Here is a list of commonly used anti-microbials - for human use. I don't know if they are safe for dogs so you would need to look into that.

Wormwood
    Black Walnut Hulls
    Cloves
    - Above three commonly used in a parasite cleanse - with psyllium husk taken half hour later)

Garlic (not too much for dogs - it can be toxic)
    Coconut oil
    Pau d' Arco
    - Commonly used for fungal infections)

Cinnamon
    Cats claw
    Turmeric
    Garlic
    Olive leaf
    Oregano oil
    Mastic Gum (esp for H Pylori)
    - Bacterial, but also wide spectrum against some protozoa/fungi

Then you have herbs, such as Thyme, Rosemary etc which also exert anti-microbial effects.

I highly recommend the GAPS diet/book - just for general knowledge, and see what of that you might be able to apply to dogs.

PS, yes antibiotics count too, although they can often lead to overgrowth of things if they are not properly targeted. Did he get some relief after Metronidazole? If so could indicate protozoa or bacteria such as H Pylori.

You may also want to look at Neem bark powder - a natural proton pump inhibitor (but will antimicrobial effect too) especially if his urine PH is more acidic that what is considered normal. Neem powder by itself has been shown to eradicate stomach and duodenal ulcers :)

Hope that helps.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sorry - I forgot to ask how Tweed is doing. :oops:
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz likes this.
    @Malka Still coughing intermittently, but otherwise still firing on all cylinders!

@Azz. Thank you for that detail, - no, I wouldn't say metronidazole helped, or coconut oil - but he did enjoy that. I use turmeric daily, and always add dried mixed herbs - parsley, sage, basil, thyme & oregano to their veggie pot. I will read up about this tomorrow - it will help to keep my mind occupied while he's away.
  10. Vellamo

Vellamo New Member

Name:
    Jenni Uski
    CaroleC likes this.
    One of my breedings got gastritis. Normally in here they get acid blockers etc. Well this one got acid blockers for 2 weeks and after that he had biopsy done and then diagnosed 100% sure, and got cortisone. He ate cortisone for 3 months after which the medication was stopped gradually. Now, 4 years later he is (still) perfectly ok.
    I know tthat on human CU is treated also with cortisone. Now I don't know all th medications mentioned in here, but is cortisone done already. On dogs IBD (=CU) is considered also autoimmune disease, so that's why I's suggest to talk about cortisone treatment.
    And on diet side - in all gastric/bowel problems oatmeal (well overcooked) seems to be helpful and both protective and nutritious.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry to hear about Eddie sending positive thoughts your way x
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you for your post. Cortisone (prednisolone) was actually the first treatment our vet tried - without any success, and porridge oats at breakfast time is the only grain food that Eddie has. Once this operation is out of the way, we will carry on with the fight, and are grateful for any suggestions.
    You are right, it is an autoimmune condition, which may well have been created by the stress of his very unsatisfactory start in life. (Commercial breeder, shipped in to a dog dealer, first home for just 2 weeks, rescue kennels, and then to me - all that by 14 and a half weeks!).
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sending Eddie big imaginary steak xxx Fingers cross & big hugs for you Carole xxxxx
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz, Malka and 6JRT's like this.
    Thank you for your good wishes. Eddie had his op, today, and the vet has removed a small string of polypoid growths from his rectum. They have been sent for histio. examination, but the vet thinks they are benign. The other good news is that the area of ulceration which was higher up in his colon, seems to have healed. The poor lad is groggy, very sore, and has a rather embarrassingly shaved rear end, but I think his situation is beginning to feel much more positive.
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Feed only rice & chicken tomorrow this will help his empty tummy anything else could make him sick xx
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    @6JRT's He has had half a tray of Wainwrights Grain Free turkey (wet food). He would have liked more, but I'lm taking it easy as I would like there to be some healing before he needs to pass a poop. He starts on 2 kinds of AB's and Metacam, tomorrow.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    @CaroleC - I am so pleased to hear that Eddie has gotten through the surgery and everything here is crossed that the polypoid growths do, indeed, prove to be benign.

Great news about the healed ulceration. :023:

Very gentle cuddles for him, and (((hugs))) for you and Tweed. :052:
  18. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    So pleased to hear the news ....... hurray for Eddie ... get well soon! :041:
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    @CaroleC - advice that was given to me by my proctologist after rectal surgery which might also help Eddie if he has any discomfort after he poos - unscented baby wipes will clean and sooth the area. If he lets you near it, of course.
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    @Malka Thanks for that Malka, It is a little bloodstained so I'll do that now. He is such a tolerant boy, he has had so much messing around in that area that he turns round when I say, 'Let's have a look at your bum'.
    I'm going to continue with his supplements, particularly the Fybogel, Protexin, Fish oil and Milk thistle, which should make 'things' slightly easier to pass, - when they do arrive.
    Actually, I'm feeling a little bit excited - dare I hope that this might be the end of it? After all this time?
  21. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    Great news :) so pleased the ulceration cleared up to - I wonder if the probiotics you were giving him helped :D