Emergency rations needed... General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Emergency rations needed...

...for Tikva's evening meal because I hit the wrong button when ReminderFox came up to tell me to check her meat and vegetables. So I did not take the two turkey hearts out of the freezer and forgot all about them until I was getting everything ready to make her meal. Usually I take whatever is needed out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator if I have used the last containers of things when I have prepared her meal, but just in case I set the reminder to pop up at 11am and just hit Snooze for 15 minutes - and check.

I set all my reminders to pop up an hour before whatever is due, with little reminders popping up every 15 minutes - which gives me time to make sure I do it. And I hit the wrong button so cancelled it - and then forgot. :oops:

So I had to raid the emergency stock of tinned food, which she will eat when mixed with everything else [although she will not touch any type of kibble], and as it is only a once in a blue moon thing she probably thinks it is a treat! Mind you I did chuck in a raw egg as well - and whatever is needed for tomorrow evening is now safely out of the freezer and in the refrigerator to defrost. PHEW
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    I've been there myself recently. Forgot to take my little man's frozen BARF out of the freezer with enough to time to defrost when his last portion of food was about to run out. I panicked because I had no emergency back up. So I make sure it's taken out in plenty of time now. Lesson learned!
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    ReminderFox is a Mozilla Firefox Add-on and I have been using it since mid-2011, originally for Pereg's medication times and dates of due blood tests and shots, as well as the reminder to make sure her food was out of the freezer, now it is used for Tikva's food and shots etc. She has her morning bone meal straight from the freezer, but I pack her vegetables into containers that hold enough for two days, and her meat is packed and frozen in meal size portions - the veggies and meat need defrosting though.

The Reminder thing is also very useful to remind me the evening before to put my rubbish in the bin as the binmen come very early in the morning, also the dates of my four-weekly water delivery... in fact just about anything and everything! It also has a ToDo list and a shopping list where I can note things to be done or that need replacing.

Windows 10 has an excellent calendar, also an alarms/clock for reminders and I use those as well - talk about belt and braces!

Old age, you know - plus frequently getting side-tracked... :oops:
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Innocence likes this.
    Which reminds me... I have a reminder set for 9am next Sunday to telephone Vadim as Tikva is a few days late for her Rabies shot, and one at 10pm on Tuesday to telephone Ram on Wednesday morning to make sure he will be coming round to give Tikva her Parkworm shot and another Bravecto pill.

As my computer is on all day I will see the pop-ups either when I am in here or when I come in here, as they will stay on until I either Snooze them or Delete them when done.

Not forgetting the one to remind me to put the rubbish out before I go to bed on Saturday as the binmen will be here Sunday morning!

I mean how am I supposed to remember all that without being reminded?!!!
  6. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Brilliant idea for reminding, far to many things to remember. It gets so annoying like forgetting to put the bin out especially if, the bin get collected once or twice a week. We use to live in Portugal on a camp sit in a static caravan and the bins were out front for all to share and collected daily, so easy. When we moved back to the UK it was strange to remember that the bins only get collect weekly or fortnightly. Also I found everyone seemed to be rushing as in Portugal we did live a simple laid back life and slowed right down. Every now and again I miss the slower pace and at times want to shut down which I can do really by saying NO. I think I'm going to be saying NO for few weeks while I concentrate on Peggy & Louie
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How is gorgeous Peggy settling down, and how are Louie and she getting on? Well, I hope!

Our bins are emptied twice a week, on Sundays and Wednesdays. We have enormous 360 litre bins as there are a lot of large families on the Moshav and originally it was one bin per plot - each plot having two small two-room homes. As it was too difficult for me to plonk up and share my neighbour's bin, I bought my own from the Local Authority. I only wanted a 120 litre one but they only have the large ones.

I keep my bin wedged inbetween the little wall surrounding my "patio" and the near end of my ramp, and the binmen know not to move it, just reach in and take the single bin bag out of it. So I put the bag in the bin the evening before they come.

I am not saying I would forget without the reminders... but with Tikki's meat I must have hit Cancel instead of Snooze...

Incidentally, the ToDo and Shopping lists are not pop-ups, they are just lists I can check on, add to or delete as necessary. I can add other types of lists if I need - far better than scraps of paper stuck on the refrigerator with a magnet!
  8. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    CaroleC likes this.
    You sound a very organised lady.
    Well, louie has started to stop hiding under the table looking out at her and has moved around the room. Peggy bounces up to him and he growls quietly so she bounces away and this went on for a while. Louie is a fussy eater and wouldn't eat this morning, Peggy went near his food and again a quiet growl then louie stayed around his bowl guarding it but not eating, Peggy then runs round the other side and reaches his bowl and ate a little and Louie just watched her. Then I took it up and will see if he eats it later.
    Peggy has been out side to do her business and we are working on house training her, I did see her once pop out on her own for a wee.
    Today we are learning to enjoy the Crate as her bed and she has jumped in and out if that we have put her food in there and she hopefully we associate her Crate as a her den.

This morning we have practiced going into her grate and wait. Not bad for first attempt. As I write this she is happily in there.

Leaving her a few minutes alone the other day she howled for ten minutes and then went quiet for ten minutes and I opened the door. This morning nit so successful she howled for ten minutes and then on and off, so when she went quiet I quickly went and opened the door.

Right this minute I've just seen her pop out for a wee, what a clever girl she is
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Organised? I just tend to forget things unless I am reminded and although I can hardly hold a pen to write now - can just about sign a cheque so leave the rest for the recipient to fill in - but I can still type fast as long as my wrists are on the table and do not move. My fingers automatically know where to go and the exercise is good for my arthritic joints. So I note things on the computer instead - at least I can read those, unlike my writing! But I have to be fairly organised as to where I put things as they must [a] be within easy reach and be exactly where I know to reach for them.

Peggy sounds as if she is doing great and I am sure that Louie will accept her fully once he gets used to her. Going out by herself when she needs a pee is really good when she has only been with you for a matter of days. One thing though, I do not believe in feeding a dog in their crate. Tikva gets a very small bikki [the only time she gets one] once I open the door to her crate and she hops in. Before I open it though she does a number of twirlies and I have no idea why she started that! In any case her crate is in my bedroom - she takes her frozen bone breakfast into the salon and eats it on a small [washable] blankie on the couch, and her evening meal is in the kitchen.
  10. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    I had read about putting food in the Crate to make it a nice place to go. I guess putting treats in there would be the same and not need to put her dinner in there. Her Crate is in the living room as, she is starting to play in and out if there, takes all the toys in there and then brings them out again.. So amusing to watch her play.

Is there any particular reason you don't think putting meals in there grate is OK?
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Can I ask why do you not believe in feeding in a crate, Juli?
    Mine are not fed in a crate these days, but I have always started off that way with a newcomer dog, - mainly to and avoid food aggression, but also to help build relaxed crate associations.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I had never used a crate until I got baby Ziva but she only went into the crate at night, although as she was only with me for 11 days [I will do unmentionable things to the woman who "lost" her while she was looking after her when I had an emergency hospital admission] and it was so soon after losing Pereg. Then I ended up with tiny Tikva who had to be bottle fed as she was not weaned... I honestly forget why I was advised not to feed Ziva in the crate. Those few weeks from losing Pereg on 1 April, then baby Ziva on 1 May - then the unexpected arrival of Tikki on 5 June, far sooner than expected, seem like I was living in a parallel universe.

I do not even remember who collected the puppy milk substitute and tiny feeding bottle from Ram for Tikva. I just know it was a Friday and the surgery closes at 2pm on Fridays but I have no idea who got the things for me after I had telephoned Ram. And of course Tikki was bottle fed so I carried her into the kitchen to heat up her bottle and brought her into the salon to sit and feed her.

She has her little bikki once she goes into her crate then curls up and goes to sleep, Bless her. :049:

And after a late night last night she slept until nearly 9.30 this morning!
    [​IMG]
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I really don't trust internet calendars. When I was dog training, I used to keep everything on my computer until the inevitable crash that meant I didn't know what the heck I was doing because my diary was on it.

Hubby tends to keep an internet calendar for reminders, but, panicked and said I'd have to use my diary to remind him of anything important when the Sky phone line for the entire area went down for 24 hours from Friday to Saturday. I don't think he'll be laughing at me for not trusting it any more now
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh dear :( but I am not too worried as I have an external hard drive which is set to automatically back up everything at 12 noon each day, plus a "pocket" external hard drive which I use as a manual double back-up about twice a week. Effie set those for me when he got them for me.

He also does an automatic monthly back-up for me by remote control from one of his computers.

I do have an online diary - two in fact, with the same things on both - as I had to keep a seizure diary for Pereg. Still use them to note down the dates Tikva has shots, worm pills etc, or anything else that has been done each day. Useful for me as well as I am in the middle of a course of Prednisone for another horrid angioedema allergy attck and I need to know how many mg I have to take each day, as they have to be reduced by 5mg every two days. Those I would be able to remember, I think, should I not be able to access the previous diary for the previous day. I hope.

But at least with the diaries [not the reminders] I can keep track of allergic reactions and if I have an attack of the dreaded Gout.
  15. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    *Crate *their

I don't know why I can't edit when I've replied unless you can't and you can only edit when you make a thread.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    You can edit all your posts, whether you are the thread starter or not, but have, I think, only five minutes to do so. But I would not worry about minor spelling errors or typos - I make enough typos myself!