English Pointers, Hungarian Vizslas, and German Short Haired Pointers Discussions

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by Alphatest, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

English Pointers, Hungarian Vizslas, and German Short Haired Pointers

Please chime in with any interesting info if you have any experience with these breeds - what are they like to own? Anything prospective owners need to watch out for? Anyone owned or have experience of all three? How do they differ? how trainable/intelligent are they? And is it true Vizslas don't smell? :lol:

Anything you think might be worth knowing will be appreciated :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    My first somewhat specific question is - are they able to 'look after themselves' in case of break in?

On thing that I've always had peace of mind with with Rocky is that if anyone ever broke in, there'd be practically no chance of them stealing him! And so I've been able to relax when out shopping etc. I'm never gone for more than a few hours but I know I would worry my socks off if I had a dog that was a bit too trusting of strangers or too easy to be 'taken' by anyone.

I know the risk may be low, but it's something that I need to think about.
  4. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Codee is my first Pointer, she is so different from my setter gang, yet there are similarities... She is so loving and cuddly, she likes nothing more than cuddling up to you on the sofa, she likes playing games, she is very intelligent when she chooses to be. She can walk/run for hours, but almost always comes back when called. She isn't into other dogs like the setters, she can be wary and I am not sure if this is due to be attacked a few times. She isn't smelly, though she loves rolling in muck!! She measures 23 inches and weighs about 27kg so technically medium to large. She is a 'teflon' dog, mud just slips off of her.:lol: She hates the cold and buries under blankets!! My only gripe really is her sensitivity and her greediness, but that is all.
    All in all she is a diamond dog and I so want another one!!:mrgreen:
    Posing...
    [​IMG]
    Bird watching, with frisbee..
    [​IMG]
    Puppy Woo, aged 9wks...
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
  5. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    No sure about if someone broke in, she isn't too keen on strangers though, unless I am with her....:?
    I will say she was dead easy to house train!!;-)
  6. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Aww she's very beautiful!

Thanks for the info Settagirl - is she ok in the heat? Do you think they could do really long walks in the summer in the blazing sun?
  7. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I reckon so, you may want one of those towelling coat things if you got a pale one like I have. She loved last summer going out for long walks, so I don't see that as a problem as long as she can have a roll in the muck and drinks of water!;-) :lol:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I dont think either of the Vizsla or the pointer are the type of breeds to be able to "look after themselves" if intruders broke in, all of them being far to sensitive .

If thats a criteria Azz, I would be looking at some of the working breeds, ones that have a more protective instinct.
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I dont think either would cause you any problem in extreme heat to be honest, both types are very active dogs, and should fit you well,

Some say the wire is a "calmer" dog than the smooth, but that will all depend on who you talk to,

As Rips says, the coat can vary hugely in the wire from almost non existent to a coat that woudl do a Spinone proud, so that would have to be a consideration (as you dont want to do any coat care), I have to say , they are also on my wish list, (as many other breeds) but if I went for a Vizzi, it would be the wire, simply because I know the smooth so well, and fancy something slightly different, but I have a friend who breeds smooths, (dont think she has any plans for a litter ) but if you do decide that they may be the breed fro you, I can always give her your number, and she will tell you anything you want to know about the breed.

They are different in many ways , but similar in many too. but all down to preference, Have to agree though the Vizsla pup is one of thee cutest around, big domed heads, large floppy ears (they do grow into them) and so much loose skin a plastic surgeon would have a field day,

i think any active breed would fit you Azz, its all just down to preference. but the Vizsla holds a specail place in my heart, such fabulous loyal companions, if you can keep up with their enthusiasm, they will give you everything you ask for, they are a very trainable breed, and need to be with you all the time.

They do have health problems (as all breeds do) so do your research, one in particular that is nasty, but thankfully the breed club are working to pinpoint the carriers /lines and hopefully will eradicate it for the future,

Read up on ........

http://www.vizslamyositis.blogspot.com/

A friend lost her very first dog to this (when it was not recognised ) yrs ago, its a terrible disease to see a young dog waste away, thankfully it is being pinpointed to certain lines and with the co operation of ALL breeders it will be a thing of the past,
  10. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I wouldn't take any dogs for really long walks in the blazing sun to be honest, Azz. HPR breeds tend to be very active and do a LOT of running, so I would be very weary of walking them long distances in hot weather. I know mine suffered last summer because heat doesn't stop her from wanting to do everything at 100 miles an hour. The GSP's I know are much the same, so you have to be careful. Mine would run until she collapsed, so walks are done early in the mornings and late in the evenings on the rare hot days we get.
  11. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Possibly something like a Ridgeback maybe? Similar look to the Vizsla, built for endurance, but a bit more 'look after themselves'?
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    This is true. You might get a bark or two, but don't expect them to go in teeth blazing and defend either themselves or you. :lol:
  13. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I should add, before you think I am irresponsible..;-) Though I do take Code out in the sun, we tend to do alot of woodland walks, so though its hot, we are shaded alot of the time. She can be full on too, as she so young, so I am careful!;-)

Regarding break ins...I mis read that, no she wouldn't protect herself, she's a wimp!:lol:
  14. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I`m on to my second GSP. Both have been good house dogs - firm but not aggressive. They are strong willed dogs who are driven by their inbred traits.
    They are `people` dogs and adore company. They cannot be left alone for long IMO and can become destructive if bored.
    A GSP will never tire and copes well with extremes of temperature. But they do need a lot of training and interaction with their human - and they tend to bond with one person like GSDs IME.
    They are clowns and full of fun, but sensitive. And vocal :lol: .
    I think if you`ve ever had one you will fall in love with the breed. They will teach you a lot about the world of HPR dogs, which is fscinating.
    Oh - and they range. A GSP is frequently a dot on the horizon, which is why you need to whistle-train them, and make sure they are solid round livestock. I find mine keep me in sight or scent though. :grin:
    mine were both from Rescues btw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Claire, I am glad you came on, before I decided on the Pointer, I was looking into GSP, I was told not to as they tend to be sharp with other dogs that are, shall we say... dopey? I find them so stunning to look at and alot like the Pointer in trait...but when I was at the cattery the owners son had one and he was devoted to his owner and not as friendly as i thought they were...?
  16. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I find GSPs are one-person dogs like my GSDs. They are calm around people but bond strongly to their handler. They tend to ignore other dogs ( and people) because they are so driven by their noses. :grin: My two both avoided other dogs (except for the odd pretty bitch :roll: )
    But that is my experience - I suspect dogs adapt to the situation they are in......
  17. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the info guys - maybe I worry too much about dog-theft. Even tho Rocky is a big dog it still feels like I am leaving a child home when out shopping :roll: :lol:
  18. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    I don't think thats right :? they should not be like that, I have seen one or two having a bit of ago other dogs but that really is not the norm compared to heaps I've seen that are fine but like all breeds you have to look out for the bad ones.
    My GSP is as overly friendly as you can get in a dog, avoids confrontation with other dog's some times lets a whippet boss him around!!! And if there is game around he takes very little notice of other dogs.

We have a GSP and a viz I can not speak for the whole breeds as they obviously vary from line to line but I will just write what I have found with ours.

GSP more friendly than the viz.
    GSP more confident and less sensivtive to the viz.
    GSP more boisterous than the viz.
    GSP better at been left alone and more settled in the house.
    GSP less hyper.
    GSP more likely to go off hunting but less likely to give chase.

I took my GSP to a country show in hot weather he HATED it, pulled towards any patch of shade and didn't want to leave the shade I felt really cruel and won't be doing it again, the viz suffered less but I think it would depend on the dog.

I don't think either would protect very well, but the GSP has a very impressive bark that would put people off if they were thinking of breaking in.

HTH
  19. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the info Nddogs - please post some pics too :)
  20. mandyB

mandyB New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    I have a an English Pointer, gorgeous, loving dog, perfect in the house but my goodness a different kettle of fish when off lead in the fields. They're born to run and run and run, as fast as a greyhound but with the stamina to keep going for hours! There's not an agressive bone in him, he's a big wuss.:lol:

It sounds to me as though a Weimaraner might be the dog for you if you want an HPR that also has a protective streak and will stick up for himself. Mine was a lovely dog, very loyal. They do need firm, fair, consistant training though but are well worth the effort and time. I will have another one day.:)
  21. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks Mandy - please do add photos too :)