English Pointers, Hungarian Vizslas, and German Short Haired Pointers Discussions

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by Alphatest, Mar 9, 2011.

1. mandyB

mandyB New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    An old photo of my Weimaraner
    [​IMG]

and Bracken 4.5yr old Pointer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    My GSP is completely obsessed with his ball or anything that will do as a ball substitute. His hunt drive has been totally taken over by the love of his ball and desire to retrieve it. The Springers can be flushing birds and deer out in all directions, but my GSP won't be distracted from his ball.

He is very easy to train provided he can see the point of what you want him to do, if not, forget it. If it involves a ball then he will happily do it all day.....and all night too.

As far as taking care of himself, he has already stepped in to protect me twice when he thought I was being threatened, when out walking. Once it was my husband playing a trick on me and came running out form behind a bush at me shouting, and Ollie didn't recognise him in his cycling helmet and goggles. Ollie had him pinned up against a tree, barking and growling before he recognised him and stopped.

The other time a lone man without a dog was walking towards me along a woodland path. Ollie stood between the man and me and made him walk round him and step off the path to get past us. I don't know what it was but he didn't like the man and wasn't going to let him get between Ollie and me. He didn't make a sound but we all knew what he meant.

I have no doubt that burglars would be told to get lost too.

He's a gorgeous boy, who often gets mistaken for a Lab or a Dobe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a good example of the GSP sense of humour. "OK if you are going to shut me in the kitchen I'm going to sit on the table!"

[​IMG]
  4. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the posts all - keep the info coming :)

Great photos Settagirl, Claire, Mandy & Maxine! I've never seen a black GSD before - it suits them.
  5. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I have Sika who is a wirehaired Vizsla and a total doll. She has never lost that 'puppy' smell, she really doesn't have that 'doggy' smell who most older dogs have, she is now 1 1/2. She doesn't ever run too far on walks, if she goes over the brow of a hill or loses sight of me she comes racing back to make sure I'm there. She is easy to train as long as you think about what is the best way to train her, she is very sensitive and seems to 'worry' is she's not understanding what I am asking her so I find I have to be very organised and really think through how I am going to teach her something new but when she learns it, she is DELIGHTED with herself. She LOVES people, can't get close enough to them, in her element curled up on the couch, preferably on your knee ha ha! I think it's a breed trait to try to meet people on their 2 back legs, which is something we are still working on with her, she gets so excited when someone speaks to her she HAS to get as close to them as she can and often forgets herself. She needs about 40+ minutes of off lead exercise per day to keep her happy, anything less and she gets restless in the evening but 40 mins for an HPR is a pretty low walking requirement IMO, usually would expect hours of walking each day. She really doesn't shed much and needs minimal grooming (she is quite short haired for a wire). She does have some issues with allergies, nothing major and fairly easily dealt with (change of food). I think, from what I have heard, the wires are a bit calmer than the smooths.
    All in all, a fabulous dog and I'd definitely have another.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Wow! Your black GSP is GORGEOUS! What a stunner :D
  7. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I have a wirehaired german pointer and she Can be a handful. I would say they are much worse than the short haired german pointers. Very strong minded but, very loving.
    If anyone broke into my house she would definatly attack. Infact, I would not be suprised if I had to bury the burgler in the garden. She takes no prisoners.
    She is a total mummy's girl but, you have to keep on top of the training.
    She never smells of dog and being wirehaired drys really quickly.
  8. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    I'll get some more pics of our viz and GSP I have a Black and white one, you tend to find more blacks/ b&w in the european / german lines, although there are some in the uk lines but there are more livers than blacks generally, partly to do with them not always doing as well at shows.
  9. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Love every ones photos :mrgreen: just loading some of ours on photobucket and it's taking a while.
  10. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Took the photos and handled the dogs (difficult!) so would have looked better with tails out and thats not the greatest pic of the viz stood but was best I could do on a cloudy day. Both dogs coming up to 2 years old the viz is 2 months younger.
  11. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    [​IMG]
    19 months with tail out level! lol
  12. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the post/info and photos! Your dogs are stunners :049:
  13. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Lovely pic n-dogs, I love them :)
  14. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Lovely dogs!!
  15. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Lovely dogs n-dogs - I do love your photos - we need more ;) :D
  16. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    We have a 2 year old Viz....Very intelligent, very trainable but easily distracted, and can be a little stubborn.
    Very sensitive, VERY loving with his family, thinks with his nose! :lol: Number two is coming soon :lol:

[​IMG]
  17. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    He looks lovely Roxi! Post more pics if you get two mins :)
  18. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Oh ok then ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Not read the whole thread but English Pointers are not the same as the others which are HPRs.
  20. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    We had a Smooth Vizsla (died last year aged only 9y) she was a beautiful dog - but nuts - and until she was about 18m - even more nuts, she was loving, sweet, crazy and funny, she was mostly obedient but hated pointing and anything gun related. Our Wire Vizsla is very typical of the breed, stoic, sensible and although she hated being shown she loves to work.

They would make totally rubbish guard dogs as a breed!

[​IMG]
  21. Wenric

Wenric New Member

Name:
    Richie
    Hi roxi
    I see it's not just our vizsla (Linka) who likes to stroke the other dogs then. It looks so funny when she does it to our tiny chihuahas though