Everest General Chat

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Everest_the_akita, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Everest_the_akita

Everest_the_akita New Member

Name:
    Shannon

Everest

Hello everyone,
    I have recently got my puppy. She is now 8 weeks old she is a cross bread akita x husky but most definitely takes after the akita trait more I would say.

I am writing on the chance that one or a few of you may be able to give me some advice...

Just some tips on puppy training, as some of you other akita owners may know is that they can be very stoubourn and believe me when I tell you this is the case with my little girl...

Tips on crying
    Puppy nipping (she is obsessed with biting feet)
    General commands ( she now already knows: sit, here, lay down and up - up being standing on her two back legs)

Sorry for the long post just cramming it all in.

Thankyou in advance.

Shannon.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    Everest is very pretty, and it sounds as if she is going to be a quick learner.
    The problems you are having are just normal behaviour for an 8 week puppy, as she will be missing having her litter mates to play with. If she has a variety of things to chew on, and toys to play with, she will soon adapt to being an only puppy. Does she have a crate? If this is covered and made into a snug den, she is more likely to settle.
    If you glance through some other recent threads, you will see that play biting is a very common complaint on this forum. I would try to deflect this onto a chew or a tuggy toy as much as possible, but must admit that I have never had a puppy which was a determined biter! Other people use methods like yelping, or cooling off periods, no doubt Akita or Husky fans will have breed specific advice.
    There is also a very good Kikopup video on Youtube which deals with this problem.
  4. Everest_the_akita

Everest_the_akita New Member

Name:
    Shannon
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Thankyou, yes she has a crate and is very comfortable with going in and out on her own accord and even when I put her in and shut the door she is fine it is just when nobody is in the room.

And her biting is not awful she is defiantly learning fast at being more gental it's just feet. But she will learn.

Thankyou for your advice and yes she is a beauty
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Your gorgeous puppy already knows a lot of commands - my little mini-monster took months to learn even basic things like 'sit' and still does not know much more than that, although her recall is brilliant - probably because she was hand-reared from 3 weeks old and if she was not sleeping she would keep close to me when she wanted a bottle during the day, so if she disappeared once she was weaned she would come when called.

At the rate Everest is learning things she will probably turn out to be very clever indeed.
  6. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    When you first bring your new puppy home, everything is going to seem rather strange to them, and they will be well outside of the realm of experience of the world that they have thus far developed. Crying is a form of canine communication much like any other, and it is the first form of communication that the puppy learns, and so often, the first one that they will use to get attention or to try to get their needs met. However, once your puppy has come home with you, it is important to get them settled in, into a routine, and start training them to settle down and how and when to communicate appropriately. How and when you respond to your puppy’s cries will teach your puppy about when it is appropriate to cry and when not to, and what they can come to expect from doing so. First of all, it is important to ensure that you always respond if your puppy is crying for a valid reason, such as needing water, or to go to the toilet. When you first begin to leave your puppy alone for more than a few minutes, or begin to teach them to sleep alone at night, these can be trigger points for puppy crying, both for attention and because they might be scared to be on their own. Also, you should get your puppy used to being left alone gradually, building up from a few minutes at a time. If you are positive that your puppy has everything they need and is comfortable, and that you are not simply trying to leave them alone for too long too soon, the next question to consider is how long you should leave a puppy crying for before you will need to intervene. Do not jump up to check on your puppy if they are crying for just a minute or two; they may be trying their luck, or concentrating on crying rather than seeing that everything is in fact alright and that they can calm down and relax! If your puppy is still crying non-stop after 15 minutes to half an hour, however, you might need to check on them, as this is the time frame within which it is reasonable to expect the puppy to tire themselves out and eventually settle. Check on your puppy in this case to ensure that they do not need to go to the toilet and are not hurt, but do not hang around and pander to your puppy’s desire for attention. Nighttime and bed times are the most common times when you can expect a new puppy to cry, as they will be left alone for a protracted period of time, plus the house will be dark and silent. Try to allow your puppy to sleep within earshot of you so that they will be able to hear that they are not totally alone, and consider leaving a nightlight on for them, and possibly a radio turned down low so that the house is not completely silent.It is important to get your puppy used to the idea of sleeping through the night, but bear in mind that younger puppies might not be able to go for a full eight hours without needing the toilet.