Family dog vs working dog Malinois Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Melomax, May 23, 2018.

1. Melomax

Melomax New Member

Name:
    Mel

Family dog vs working dog Malinois

Hello,

I'm looking to own a 6 to 8 month old Malinois and have been taking a look at some of the online offers from various breeders. I've come across a few offers that say something like "family dog only and not for work" -- I haven't contacted the breeders yet to find out what they mean by this and thought I find out here first. Does this mean the breeders type of Malinois is not suitable physically or mentally to perform working tasks that a Malinois is geared for?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I have no personal experience with mals but we have a similar scenario in Gsd’s.
    It seems to have become a popular misconception that show lines are better pets,as they have a lower drive and working lines should go to working homes only.
    I have always had show lines and they have been very capable of doing whatever I wanted from them.
    Some working lines can have over the top drive but I believe in the right home can still make great family pets.
    Whatever lines, they are a working breed and will still need lots of stimulation and a lot of work put into them.
    Best to find a good breeder that'll put effort into matching you with the right pup.
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Unless you are very experienced in handling this breed of dog and are willing to put in a lot of work, don't opt for working line as this breed can have excessive drive that even the police force give up on.
  5. Melomax

Melomax New Member

Name:
    Mel
    This is great feedback! Thanks for your reply! And yes I will definitely take your advice on having the breeder match me up with the right pup!
  6. Melomax

Melomax New Member

Name:
    Mel
    Thanks for your advice Chris!