Farting too much? Questions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Ljusto, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Ljusto

Ljusto New Member

Name:
    Sljusto

Farting too much?

Hey guys. I've gotten a very feisty RR about 4 months ago. Since we keep him in the house, it's kind of an issue for us when he keeps farting non-stop (about 3-4 times an hour, sometimes more). We of course take him outside for walks and regular wc sessions, as for food he is getting Josera from germany which was recommended to us by the guy we bought it from. We also give him boiled chicken with rice and boiled leftover meat, so I find it unlikely that it's a bad diet?

He's 6 months old, maybe it's just because he's young?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    That can't be very pleasant!
    The only thing I can offer, I'm not an expert,so, this is only what I have researched myself
    The potential for ' bloat ' is quite high in large breeds. One of the symptoms is belching and wind. To help with this spread the daily food allowance over several feeds.
    Does he gulp his food from his dish, if so he will be taking in a lot of air ( which then needs to come out ) so, to stop his gulping put his food on a large tray so he then his to pick his food up rather than grabbing it
    I also read pegs can be useful for the humans - ha ha !
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Splitting his meals down into smaller portions is good advice, and some folk like to use a stand for the feeding dish to prevent food being 'thrown back' into the throat.
    I have found that dogs which are fed grain-free do produce a lot less gas. I don't actually know the brand of food that you mention, but on briefly Googling it, they seem to have two varieties which are grain free and use potato instead. If you are not already using one of these, I suggest that you give it a trial.
    If your RR is already having one of the grain free versions, you might be better trying a different brand, as recipes can vary considerably. Dogs can react very differently to the protein sources too, so it can be worth experimenting there as well.
    Lastly, though I am not one, we do have dedicated raw feeders on the forum. I am sure that this must be most natural way to feed a dog, but it does require a certain amount of planning, storage, and dedication. If you fancy trying it, I'm sure someone would advise you.
  5. Ljusto

Ljusto New Member

Name:
    Sljusto
    Thanks for the fast replies guys. I think Yoji hit the nail on the head with his eating habits, he is an incredibly ravenous dog, when he starts to eat he shoves it up so fast like someone is about to take it all if he doesn't eat the bowl in 10 seconds.

But I don't know how to alleviate that, even if I give him smaller portions he will still eat them up in a few seconds.

As for grain in food, I couldn't find anything about it in the ingredients so I guess he doesn't consume it.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    A raw fed dog rarely farts and if they do you cannot smell it, their poos do not smell, nor does their breath.

My small Tikva will hoover up her evening "wet" meal in seconds, and will do a very satisfying [for her] burp when she has finished, but no farts, no smelly poos and the sweetest breath ever.

Oh, and sparkling white strong teeth.
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    A way to slow down the eating is to spread the food around on a large tray, it means he has to pick it up rather than gulping it.....worth a try
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Or, there are slow feeder dog bowls which have finned projections in them, making lots of little compartments which all need to be picked clean. Lots of different makes and designs. I believe that several large smooth pebbles in the dish works too.
  9. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello there,
    Try this bowl not to expensive and has 5* reviews.

Petmate Aspen Pet Skid Stop Slow Feed Bowl Jumbo, Blue
    Amazon £8.99
    • Slow feed bowls unique design slows your dog down.
    • This bowl features large interior indentations which prevent your dog from eating too quickly.
    • Anti-slip rubbery base keeps the bowl in place for your pup.
    • Heavy-duty plastic resists rust & bacteria & is dishwasher safe.
    • Supplied in blue plastic with black non-slip base. measures 34 x 34 x 10cm
    Reviews: 5*

"These bowls are fantastic, I have 10 large dogs who were being sick, competing for food and sometimes fighting. These bowls are the best thing I've bought, they all eat in harmony, slowly and no sickness. Would definitely buy again."

"Nice big dish stops my dog from gulping his food."

Image:

[​IMG]
    Hope this helps,
    Jane
    xx