Female 17 week old St Bernard Questions

Discussion in 'St. Bernard' started by Mike Babb, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Mike Babb

Mike Babb New Member

Name:
    Mike

Female 17 week old St Bernard

I'm new to the group as well as to my dog breed. I have a 17 week old female St Bernard. She was weighed this morning at 39.9lbs. Would she be considered underweight? I've looked at different growth charts online and all are saying that she will only reach 79lbs as a adult. Surely this cannot be correct. Cause for concern? Thanks, Mike
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Mike, welcome to Breedia to you and your new "baby" from little Tikva and from me :039:

I do not know anything about the breed of your girl but it does not sound to me that she is underweight. What does your vet say? Anyhow, checking on the St Bernard section on Breedia, the average weights of an adult of that breed are "Dogs: 54.5 - 82 kg (120 - 180 lbs) Bitches: Lighter than dogs ...http://www.breedia.com/dogs/st-bernard

so the 79lb as an adult could be rather on the light side although as I say I know nothing about the breed.

But, from what I have read here on Breedia, large breed puppies should be fed on adult food and not puppy food, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I on large breeds will come and explain why.

Do you have any photographs of your girl? If so, please post them for us to enjoy!
  4. Mike Babb

Mike Babb New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for your reply. Millie was at her vet this morning and he stated that she healthy and is doing fine. She's getting spayed today. She's currently on Purina puppy food. Maybe I need to switch her to adult. Or maybe Purina is the wrong type to give her.
    Here are some pictures of her. Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Millie is beautiful :049: but maybe a bit young to be spayed? I have usually waited for three months after my girls have had their first season although little Tikva was spayed at six months before she had had her first season. But that was done because she can only go out in my unfenced front yard, albeit on a tether for her safety, and there are stray and loose dogs wandering about.

I do not know about Purina as I am a raw feeder, but from what I have learned on Breedia about large breed dogs, they should be on adult food not puppy food. Something to do with not gaining weight too quickly and putting too much strain on bones - I am sorry but only having had small dogs and since 2011 being a raw feeder, I do not understand why large breeds should be on adult and not puppy food and I am hoping that someone far expert than I will come and explain why.

Please give Millie a cuddle from me and ear twiddles, and once she is over the spaying, some tummy rubs from me.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    These growth rates/feed charts are only guidelines, each dog is different, genetics plus some lines are heavier than others.

Its advisable to feed large breeds puppies on a good adult food to stop them growing to fast and causing joint problems, I prefer to keep my pups on the lean side for that reason. if she looks healthy and eating well I wouldn’t worry to much.

I am not against neutering but just don’t see why people feel they have do get it done so young , research shows that neutering young dogs can cause skeletal problems so do your research before having it done.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/09/30/neutering-health-risks.aspx
  7. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hiya Millie and Mike,
    Welcome to Breedia. She is beautiful. :007: Oh no, your getting me puppy broody!:021:
    Jane
    xx
  8. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Innocence and CaroleC like this.
    Hi Mike welcome. As the owner of a Bernese Mountain dog in fact on my second. I would say 17 weeks to spey is far to early. These large breed dogs need to grow into their hormones and body. They can become nervous, have skeletal issues and take a bit longer to mature brain wise. They can take long enough sometimes anyway to grow up mentally.
    Bernese are not so different in size to the St. Bernard. Feed a good grain free food if you can Purina is not a good choice. There are far better foods, do not get sucked into breed specific foods either. Just a good quality grain free dog food is just as good. Here is a link that might be useful. http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/saint-bernard#/slide/1 This may also be very helpful in helping decide on a good quality food. Good luck with Millie she is a beautiful girl. Forgot to ask are you based in the Uk or USA raising puppies and feeding can vary significantly. Google can be your friend for a lot of information on feeding and rearing your girl.
  9. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    CaroleC likes this.