Female pups and first heat General Chat

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Keith Wiethe, May 21, 2018.

1. Keith Wiethe

Keith Wiethe New Member

Name:
    Keith

Female pups and first heat

When typically do females have their first heat? We are letting our 7 month old go through her first so she can mature properly.
    Still holding hope that ear comes up...

Thanks
    Keith
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Usually around six-months-old but some can be later. Smaller breeds tend to go into heat earlier - Lexi, who was small, was five months old but she barely showed, whereas Pereg, who was bigger but still in the small/medium size also came into heat at five months - bit a nightmare with her! Both were spayed three months after their season ended.

Tikva, who was [and still is] small was spayed at six months before she had come into season for the first time, as the only place she can go out is in my unfenced front yard on a 12m tether, and there are too many stray/loose dogs around.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Usually the larger breeds are later - though there are no rules!
    Tweed, (terrier Lurcher), was 10 - 11 months, and I always expected my Goldens to be around this age for having their first season. Now with Beagles, I hear of quite a few which are over 12 m. and have not had a season yet. At the National Champ. Show last week, the class with the most absentees was Puppy Bitch, (6 - 12 m.), no prizes for guessing why! I'm sure that the sudden improvement in the weather has some effect.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Large breeds don’t fully mature until 18/24 mths old.
    Have you contacted the breeder about her ear they may be able to help with taping?
    Is it just the tip of her ear or is it fully folded over.
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    My little girl started her first heat at 6 months and 12 days, last Friday. I was surprised it happened with her so young, thought larger breeds it happened later. I’m also letting her go through first heat to allow her to mature. I haven’t done this with previous female, who was mixed breed, and hope I made correct choice.. I have had people ask when we are having puppies, which made me think about having a litter from her, but likely will not go that route, leave that to those who have more experience
  7. Keith Wiethe

Keith Wiethe New Member

Name:
    Keith
    Fully folded. On a rare occasion she will put it up for a second or two. That’s maybe once a week.
  8. Kitatheakita

Kitatheakita New Member

Name:
    Kita

Hey! Mine also got her first heat just week before getting 7 months! I was told she's not gonna grow any height after heat. I have mixed feelings about this. Did yours grow taller after her heat? Thank you in advance!
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I honestly don’t remember