field trials for dachshunds? Dog Sports

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Miniature Smooth Haired)' started by philbee100, Jun 4, 2014.

1. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    Azz likes this.

field trials for dachshunds?

hi. i have noticed recently that brena has an absolutely tremendous hunting instinct. she flushes all sorts of birds, even little sparrows, and constantly has her nose to the ground. i would absolutely love to enter her in a dachshund field trial, where she could put her skills in action. is there such a thing as a field trial just for miniature doxies like brena? i wonder how i could find out, and what training she would need to enter. she has more of a hunting and retrieving instinct, believe it or not, than any lab or lab mix i have ever known.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Might be worth sending your local breed club an email as they might know of some in your area - if they don't, why not suggest starting one up? :)
  4. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    Azz likes this.
    sounds like a good idea to me.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz likes this.
    Germany certainly has Teckel tests. If you Google 'Irish Dachshund Club Working Test', there is a pdf format copy of the FCI test. This will give you some idea of what would be expected. Whether that would apply in the States I don't know, but I would follow Azz's advice and contact your Breed Club.
  6. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    i wonder if there is a dachshund breed club in southwest virginia? i'll Google and see what i come up with.
  7. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    i didn't come up with anything. i contacted the closest dachshund club i could find and they said that there aren't any here. oh well, maybe i can make use of brena's great nose with games like "Find it".
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    philbee100 likes this.
    Hi Phil,
    There may be some kind of working test for show dogs connected with the parent breed club. I'm not sure what their title would be, possibly something along the lines of, American Dachshund Society, but try Googleing 'AKC Performance Tests', and see if anything that page applies to you. You might also like to look at the description of AKC Obedience Trials, which includes a TD (Tracking Dog) and a TDX (Excellent) qualification. I would imagine that a Min. Dachs. would be an unusual breed to train for it, but my own breed is an unusual in Obedience and Trials over here and we press on regardless!

By the way, I've taken the info. above from the Sport section my US Beagle book, but I have checked, and the AKC webpage is there.
  9. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    i'll check on the web page. brena's been spayed, so i don't know if that would disqualify her or not. they have a LOT of coonhound tracking and field trials around here because it's a very rural area, but brena is probably too small and the wrong breed for those.
  10. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    looks like more than likely if brena does any dog sports, she would have to be registered with the AKC (American Kennel Club), but since her parents were registered with the CKC the AKC probably not accept her. it never really occured to me and karren to register her anyway, since she is not a working dog and she's been spayed.
  11. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I've just been having a look at the AKC website, and there seems to be something called the Purebreed Alternative List which enables dogs which aren't eligible for normal registration to be registered for sports etc.

It might be worth checking out, though I may have got it completely wrong!
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Over here we have an Activity Register which will accept any dog - even a mixed breed - enabling it to take part in KC regulated dog sports. If the AKC does have a similar register, Obedience could be your best route - progressing up to the Tracking Stake, something we can't do over here. However, for a Field Test, I'm don't think this would be acceptable if it was one run by a breed society. eg. Working Tests for Show Gundogs.

I wish you luck, whether you continue tracking on your own for fun, or try battling for recognition! Keep in touch.
  13. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    karren and i could try tracking on our own with brena to stimulate her senses. hunting supply stores might sell rabbit scent, which we could spread in the yard and let brena have at it! i was thinking she should have some sort of reward at the end of the trail, like a stuffed toy or treat, so brena can feel she tracked down a live rabbit. we also have a wilderness state park nearby, so she can track on the leash.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Phil, The standard (human scent) tracking book is Glen Johnson, Tracking Dog, theory and methods. First published in 1975, but still in print, it remains the standard Beginner to TDX guide for teaching a dog how to track. I'm sure you would find it an interesting read. I have only done standard (human scent) tracking, but would imagine that you would drag a scented lure to lay a rabbit track. The hunt packs use a quad bike - but we're running way ahead here - you need to start small. What happens if a real rabbit crosses your track - I don't know - but perhaps a dog is savvy enough to tell the difference and remain on line!
  15. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Go for it ! These breeds are determined I'm sure she won't let's you down.!
  16. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    Malka likes this.
    we had a wild rabbit come into the yard today and brena tracked it dead on!
  17. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    philbee100 likes this.
    You go girl!
  18. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    we've decided to find a stuffed (toy) rabbit and if we can get some rabbit scent and put it on the toy. then we hide the toy bunny outside and let brena track it (on leash of course.) when she finds it we praise her and give her a treat. this way she will be able to exercise her hunting instincts in a safe, fun manner. now all we have to do is wait till hunting season opens to see if we can find rabbit scent for sale.
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    There is a good description of how to lay a scent trail on thebeagleclub.org and select Working Section from the menu (this is the UK Beagle Club). A Beagle friend has bought a stick of rabbit scent to make her tail teaser toy more interesting, so it should be available in the US too.
  20. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    i've decided not to train brena to hunt. she loves everyone and every living thing, and i don't want her suddenly running off after small little animals. she gets more than enough exercise and stimulation on walks with me and katie.
  21. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    CaroleC likes this.
    she especially loves going on a walk with me and her best canine pal 5 year old katie, who taught her all she needs to know about being a great dog.