Fish? No sardines though General Chat

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Malka, May 11, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.

Fish? No sardines though

I telephoned Mikhaël wanting some fish for Tikva - I can never remember what they are called but they are like very large sardines - frozen - but minus their heads. Ungutted though so what I wanted for her. Human food but she likes fish so what - and they are ridiculously cheap. Not knowing what they are called, he asked if I wanted any salmon - well why not? So he turned up with two strips of frozen boneless - not steaks but I have no idea how to describe them. Each one vacuum sealed in a strip of 4 x 150g. The pack is just described as salmon pieces with skin on. There must be some skin on as in order to be Kasher as fish must have fins and scales, and the skin on these pieces have scales.

Not for Tikki but for me! Yum yum.

I cannot make out from the label where this salmon is from but it is very deep orange/red and the way it is packed it will be easy to just cut off one piece at a time as wanted. And Mikhaël now knows what fish I want for Tikki when I next call in an order! She can wait as she is not having any of my salmon! He will bring or send some of the fishes for her next week!

It is so nice to just telephone and get what I wanted delivered.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Would your large sardines be called pilchards?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not really pilchards but definitely large sardines. When I get those they are complete with heads an' all, but I will not buy from the fish van again when it comes round. Tikki does not care as she likes the ones that Mikhaël has - I just can never remember the name of them. I used to like tinned pilchards in tomato sauce [or in water?] but cannot get them here. Tinned tuna in oil or water/juice is the main tinned fish although tinned pink salmon is sold in big supermarkets. But now I know that Mikhaël has this frozen salmon I think I will put that on my shopping list!

I worded my OP incorrectly. In order for a fish to be Kasher it must have fins and scales, and the reason large fish which is not sold whole, like salmon [and Nile Perch, which I really like and which is also sold frozen] have some skin on each piece is to show that the fish has scales. It is not that the skin makes it Kasher - it just shows that it is. Obviously on smaller fish the fins and scales can be seen.

There are a few fresh fish stalls in the shuk but I have not been there for such a long time, and I am quite happy with what Mikhaël has. So is Tikki! I like fish - wish I could find somewhere that sells mackerel but I have only come across it twice in all the years I have been here. Maybe I should ask Mikhaël?

Anyhow, I will cut off one piece of the salmon to defrost in the refrigerator and will give it a few minutes in the microwave on Sunday, to have with salad.

Yum yum yum!