Fit yorkshire terrier! Health

Discussion in 'Yorkshire Terrier' started by Janet, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

Fit yorkshire terrier!

Out with the dogs this morning, I saw a couple of runners with an excited yorkshire terrier running alongside them. At first I thought 'Oops! - they're being pestered by someone's out of control dog' but no, it was running with them. They certainly didn't look like occasional joggers - they were both fit looking 'proper' runners, and it was great to see the little dog enjoying itself so much.

Anyone here run with their yorkie? I don't have one - yet! - but one day hope to get one. I have a little terrier mix, and his mum was half yorkie.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Not a Yorkie but - my daughter in law runs with my min pin (in Cyprus and in the UK). She has done 10km runs with her and comes home full of beans! (The dog, not the DiL!)
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That's great - I wonder if little dogs might be more suited to running than the bigger heavier dogs.

I used to belong to a rambling club and we used to do about 12 miles - my miniature poodle ran most of the time to the front of the group and to the back and so on (perhaps she thought everyone had turned up to take her for a walk) but when we got home and I was collapsed in a chair, she'd be bringing me her ball to throw!
  5. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    Great to see any dog enjoying it self. Wish I was fit enough to jog with Toffee he would love it.
  6. Lynne

Lynne New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    One of my neighbours has a Chihuahua who she takes running round the park. She's also taken it roller blading (sp) Its lovely to watch them
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I don't run but I do bike with mine sometimes, so same principal.

Yorkies are very energetic little dogs and have no problems keeping up. People underestimate them; they are just as capable as larger dogs. :)
  8. J3nny

J3nny New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    we have a yorkie she is 14 now but would actually walk for miles and miles she is a larger sized one , more like the working type. The one we had before that was a show type dog very small and would walk 2 meters then sit down lol
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I couldnt keep up with our Yorkie cross if i jogged with her ..lol
  10. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    :grin:

My Old Molly (12 now), and blind in one eye is an absolute treasure for walking.....

She's the bigger working type... and will walk for miles and miles and miles and miles...... either the Proclaimers? or See for Miles like the Who??

and you can walk her anywhere off lead (although I don't). She is sooooo good.
  11. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    Making me think about fit yorkies so have a quick look at them doing agility, and wondered if they could actually do the seesaw... lol would it move???
    But seriously, it's lovely to see people with little dogs treating them like dogs!
  12. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    When I'm out walking my round the lake in the evening I usually see a couple of girls running their yorkie.. keeps up no problem and very well behaved :)
  13. tansox

tansox New Member

Name:
    Christine
    My Yorkie used to swim every morning and walk/run and chase my other dogs every day. We were usually out about two hours, she kept up easily with 3 GSD's, an Airedale and 2 collies. She lived until she was 17. We just never told her she was a little dog!
  14. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    My sister runs 10k with her Westie and her Cairn x... well did before she got too pregnant LOL

Both are very fit and will run for miles and miles.

Neither breeds are toys, though they're not alot bigger than the larger Yorkies (12 and 13 lbs).
  15. J3nny

J3nny New Member

Name:
    Jenny

Lol have you seen the paps do it they have to climb right to the tip of the plank and wait for it to drop all they way, i often wonder if they get the pirate boat feeling in their tummys x x