Fitness Discussions

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by Nuttybird76, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Nuttybird76

Nuttybird76 New Member

Name:
    Tracey

Fitness

Hi everyone,
    I'm fairly new to this breed but have always been a fan. I bought my puppy when she was 6 months and she has just turned a year old. I've just started running with her to get hers and mine fitness up.... What is a safe distance that I can run with her? I would like to eventually have her running half/full marathons with me (in time) is this doable? TIA
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Tracey, welcome to the forum. I am fascinated by your avatar - does your Dalmatian really have four black legs? Quite dramatic markings.
    This may not be relevant, as at 74, I have no knowledge of long distance running, with or without dogs, but the Kennel Club usually gives 18 months as the minimum age for entry in endurance sports competitions. Have you thought about taking up Canicross - usually written as CaniX? This sport is cross country running where the dog is attached to a waistband by a bungee line and harness. I don't know where you are, but there is a two day event in Staffordshire this weekend. See CaniX.co.uk for more info. on this sport.
  4. Nuttybird76

Nuttybird76 New Member

Name:
    Tracey
    Hi CaroleC, no she had just come out of a muddy ditch, she loves mud and water so they not her natural markings. Thank you for tip I'll take a look and see if I can find something a little closer to my area as I'm in Suffolk.