Flat Coated Retriever Discussions

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Flat Coated Retriever

Flat Coated Retriever

-------------------

Here's some FC Retriever info from fellow Dogwebber Liberty:

Flatcoats originated in Britain as the result of crossing several breeds, including the Lesser Newfoundland.
    They are the lightest built of all the retrievers, except the Nova Scotia Duck-toller.
    Standing at most 61cm (24") at the withers, they are not heavily built in the loins and hindquarters hence the light appearance.
    The most common colour is black, with Liver being the only other accepted colour.

They are sociable, good humoured dogs, always eager to please.
    An excellent household dog who loves human company, their tails wag constantly, and their intelligence is plain to see whether working in the shooting field or playing in the park.

Flatcoats are slow to mature, lick a lot, and love the water too.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2006
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. liberty

liberty

Just to add some additional information, on these wonderful dogs.

Anyone looking for a Flatcoat puppy, should contact Mrs Shirley Johnson, The Litter Secretary of the Flatcoat Retriever Society on: 01638 718231
    She knows of all available FCR litters.

Another useful link is The Flatcoat Retriever Society website on:

www.flatcoatsoc.co.uk

Included here, you will find information about the FCR Tumour Survey, as sadly this adorable breed is susceptible to cancer. The society is doing all possible to find out why......

It is also very important to ensure that both parents have been hip-scored and eye tested too.

Suggested reading. Flatcoated Retrievers by Brenda Phillips.
    This book covers every aspect of the breed, from it's history through well known Breeders, care of the dog, training and health. Available from Amazon.

liberty
  4. smudgley

smudgley New Member

Name:
    smudgley
    Carli

Carli - Liver flat Coated Retriever.

[​IMG]
  5. Gems

Gems New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    she is truley amazing, wow im in love, what a sweetheart i loooovvveee liver flatties!
  6. newforestfcr

newforestfcr New Member

Name:
    julia
  7. jakey

jakey New Member

Name:
    jacqueline
    hey ... finally!!!!!!! I have found a fellow flatie owner.

Hi. Not able to see your pics. What is your flatie called? Colour? Age?
  8. newforestfcr

newforestfcr New Member

Name:
    julia
    Hi Jakey,

We have 2 flatties one is called Bertie hes 5 and black the other is Paddy and hes 10 months and black both are causing some concern at the moment as they both have had to have lumps removed we are still waiting for the results.

What is your dog??
  9. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    You must be local to me newforestfcr ;) I'm in the New Forest as well and have a flattie :D My boy is 5 and had to have a lump removed at 12 months as well, but the results were all clear so fingers crossed for your two guys !

Jakey you havent been the only flattie owner on here, I've been here for a while ;) How old is your dog ? :)
  10. jakey

jakey New Member

Name:
    jacqueline
    Hi

I posted a mail when i first joined and had no replys but knew there were some of you on here... just couldnt figure out how to get in contact.

My last dog passed away a year ago and after spending 2005 lookin after my sick mum we have now decided to get a new one. After loads of research and conversations with breeders and owners, we have decided on flat coat and a northern inuit.

We are getting the flatie pup in 3 weeks. Not chosen her yet as she was only 2 weeks old when we went to see the litter. We are hoping the N.I. breeders Dam will be in season in the next month.

I am so excited about the flatie as i now have so much more time to dedicate to a dog and i hope to work her in some form.

So, where did you both get yours from? Any tips you can give me on pups? I have been reading about these lumps on other websites... they seem quite common. Not heard any of them being anything bad though.

;-)
  11. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    Unfortunately there is a high rate of cancer in flatcoats, whilst we have a breed that does have one of the lowest average hip score for retrievers (9) we seem to be plagued with the high mortality rate of cancer in our beloved dogs. :(

Where abouts are you getting your flattie pup from ? Do you know the kennel name ? Are the parents working or show ? (Can you tell I'm interested ? ;) )
  12. jakey

jakey New Member

Name:
    jacqueline
    Morning Willow,

That is a bit of a worry. Mind you i guess with every dog there is something you need to keep your eye out for, but upsetting never the less. !2 months as well, that isnt old is it. I am glad he is ok tho!

Ok, well our pup is out of Lathkill Oonaghs Onion to Croftgun midnight fizz @ torwood. Bred by Denise Jury who seems a very comprehensive and experienced FC breeder. I know Fizz works and has many placements in shows etc. He is still only young and a great potential.

I came across a fair few brick walls when trying to locate a pup which is understandable. I thought i was not going to be able to find what i wanted (a liver bitch) but low and behold we have and i am so excited!!!

Firstly, now i have left work to set up my own little business, pup (No name yet ...possibly Ruby) will be my second in command so no being left at home... and secondly, i really really would like to get into working / showing her. We have a lot of classes round here and have already been in contact with the organisers so i am hoping we can have some fun together!

Where did your lad come from? Do you work / show at all? Any pointers? ;-)
  13. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    I can give you a load of pointers if you like ! :D But need to get some info together if you like :D I have heard of Denise Jury, the name rings a bell, I'm not into the showing world though and have probably seen her name in the Flat Coat year book. That's great you managed to locate a pup from working and showing parents as in the last year there has been a massive rise in ppl just buying a bitch and a dog and breeding for the cash :( The FCR rescue is certainly worried about it.

Have you got any pics yet of your little girl ? Would love to see some ! :D

Casper had his lump removed at 12 months because I wanted him hipscored and also he had to have a tooth removed, so decided to get all three things done at once. I've since found out that a litter mate (from the previous litter) died at 9 months from leukemia :( But touch wood, Casper is fine and I know of three other dogs from his litter and they are all fine as well :D
  14. jakey

jakey New Member

Name:
    jacqueline
    I did come across some people who i just stayed well away from.. obviously just breeding for cash. I am really grateful and honoured to have found Denise.

SO what should we look out for? Lumps etc?
  15. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    Dont get too worried to start with about lumps as there are a lot of flatcoats that go through life without any lumps ! :) Do you intend to show or work your girl ? I know up your way (I'm taking this from the fact you have written Cheshire in your profile ! ;) ) the midland region of the FCRS do a lot of meets and training clubs etc. You could also try the yahoo flatcoat group as there is a load of advice/breeders/trainers on there who would be able to help you out if you had any questions :D
  16. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    Dug out some pics of my boy :grin:

When he was 18 months

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/Ruskii/FlatcoatSitting.jpg

Some gundog training pics from last summer (That's my fat legs in the pic ! :blush: )

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/Ruskii/Dummy.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/Ruskii/Return.jpg

Taken last summer when we were on a walk :grin:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/Ruskii/DSC00002.jpg

Playing in the snow

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/Ruskii/DSC00590.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/Ruskii/DSC00582.jpg

Gosh have gone a bit overboard havent I ? :blush: Can you tell I like Flatcoats ? 8) :lol:
  17. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Hi all!
    Thought I'd say hello as I'm due for a flat coat puppy to arrive in our mad house on Wednesday! He's a Guide dog puppy and will be 8 weeks old ( although he was bred by a private breeder, not Guide Dogs! )I believe they are mad, loyal, affectionate, hate being left on their own and have the waggiest tails ever! I have no experience of them so any handy hints or advice would be great! A neighbour has a beautiful 9 month old flat coat who has been a little sensitive at times, are they generally like that? Any advice or info wuold be great! Ta!
    By the way the photos or beautiful, you must be ssssssooooooo proud!
  18. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    They DONT like being left, mine trashed my house but he did grow out of it and it was entirely my fault for not training him properly, now he can be left with run of the house and he is an angel :grin:

They love their cuddles and are very people focused, Casper is friendly with other dogs but is more intersted to see where I am when on out a walk, they are loyal to an extent, as in Casper always looks out for me but at the same time he will lick someone to death if he can get away with it, I dont let him lick me as I personally hate being licked, but if other ppl let him he would lick them all day. His tail has broken countless glasses with it wagging and I think FCRS are the only dog to have it written in the breed standard they must have a wagging tail in the show ring so it shows there just how happy they are ! :)
  19. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Awwwww! They sound adorable! Even more excited now!!! I guess their love of people is why they are using them as Guide dogs! I'd also heard they were 'licky' especially with children! Can't wait to see this tail tho!!!!!
  20. newforestfcr

newforestfcr New Member

Name:
    julia
    Hi Willow

Your boy looks lovely very similer to our older dog - i want to load some pictures but haven't worked out how to do it yet!! Where do you go gun dog training? There never seems to much going on in the forest maybe i just dont look in the right place but i would love to do something with puppy any ideas we are near fawley
  21. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    Hiya, I'm on the other side of the forest and go to an ADPT trainer, as the local gundog trainers can be a bit harsh sadly (if you look in the working and activities section for dogs and look through my threads you'll read of a story :( ) the trainer I use I have known since Casper was a puppy and I get along really well with her, but we are on the other side of the forest I'm afraid, we do have some ppl from Romsey etc and there is one regular person who comes from Surrey to train with us ! We train mostly round the Burley area of the forest, once a month, classes are £6 for 2 hours if you want extra info PM me it'd be great to see another flattie owner ! :D