Flat Coated Retriever Discussions

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. MXG

MXG New Member

Name:
    Georgie
    Sounds like you are going to have fun there!! They do have a wonderful nature. Any photos?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Hi
    Sorry I haven't replied I don't come on much to post these days.
    Ted sounds lovely. Well...he would be, he's a FCR!
    Do they all like mud and water...no...most but not all. Our bitch hates it, she is improving a little but she isn't one for getting wet or dirty! Bit of a precious princess. :) Cosmo on the other hand is happy to mud wallow and scuba dive at every available opportunity, sometimes he even 'practises' on our rug! Muppet.
    Any pics?
  4. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    He sounds adorable. :) I hope it all goes well at the vets for you.
  5. MXG

MXG New Member

Name:
    Georgie
    Hi
    Hopefully, if I've done this right, here are a couple of photos of Ted.

On the day we got him last May

[​IMG]

On a walk this morning across the fields (yes he has been in the ditch!)

[​IMG]

Handsome boy even if I do say myself!!
  6. lmfcr

lmfcr New Member

Name:
    maggie
    Back from the Vet - as I thought he has allergies to something. Now just trying to find out what. :shock: I do have a picture - can't figure out how to post it though. I must clarify too, Loki is not pure FC. Everything about him is FC, except his coat is wavy. Well when he had a coat. :-(
  7. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

Name:
    Shep
    As a kid I always wanted a flat coat or Golden Retriever. Something about them always appealed to me, they were like the perfect example of man's best friend.

When I eventually got my dog, I just saw him and I just knew he was the right one for me but in the future I'd love to get a retriever as well.
  8. sue rich

sue rich New Member

Name:
    Sue
    My flattie, Jaz
    [​IMG]
    He's 12 weeks here but now 13 weeks. Yesterday he had his 2nd jab so not much longer and we'll be out and about (and won't that be a relief to us both!) He also had his microchip yesterday and didn't he yelp!
    I'm used to goldies and never had a flat coat before so it's been interesting catching up with this thread. (I hope somebody's still out there).
    I read somewhere that they are well known for being sulkers but I've not found that yet. If I tell him off for something he simply turns round and barks at me!:lol:
    I try to put my foot down but he is hilarious although I know I've got to let him know that he's not the boss. I'm really looking forward to the training, I loved it with my goldies and they were so quick to learn.
  9. MXG

MXG New Member

Name:
    Georgie
    You are going to have fun! I have never had a sulk from Ted, he is very forgiving. It is difficult to be cross with him for long - it's his eyes, I just melt! :roll: His training has been going well and he passed his silver good citizen award before he was 12 months but he still can't get the walking nicely on a lead, he' not too bad and then something nice and smelly is just out of reach and 'yank' arm out of it's socket - he is so strong! But like I said, can't be cross for too long. Would love to see more pictures as Jaz grows! :lol:
  10. sue rich

sue rich New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Ted sounds like an angel! Congratulations, I'll be glad when we get that far.
    Did he have any accidents when he was little? I've never known a dog to be so accident prone as Jaz! He's had 3 that really frightened me and he's only 13 weeks. Yesterday I bought him a little ball that squeaks at the lightest touch and he absolutely adores it! As he can't go out yet, it's brilliant exercise for him because he chases and throws it all over the place. Last night he'd been in the kitchen for water and left a trail through the dining room that I'd not noticed. Later he raced through, slipped on the water and went flying. I've never known a dog to slip on a puddle before and it would have been funny, but he really hurt himself. At first he couldn't stand up and I was terrified! Eventually he was limping on 3 legs and I lay him down gently and he rested next to me for about an hour while I sat there worried sick. After that he put weight on it and this morning all's well with the world again and he's back to being a right little rascal!
    That's the third time he's put the fear of God into me and I wondered if it's just because he's such an adventurous soul or because I let him do things that are too strenuous for him. He seems more 'breakable' than the golden retrievers I've had in the past. I'll be so glad when we can go out next week.
    Thanks for answering my post, I look forward to hearing more about Ted and his adventures.:)
  11. MXG

MXG New Member

Name:
    Georgie
    Ted is no angel!!!:rolleyes:
    He has been clumsey but he just throws himself into everything whole heartedly so yes accidents do happen. We have been to the vet with Ted more times in his 18months than we ever did with our last dog in his 18 years (not a flatcoat)!! Ear infections are his favourite although we use a powder that was recommended to us which seems to have kept them at bay recently. Twice we have been about his eyes - eye lid not doing what it should so his eye is way back in his head (yuk) and he has been unforunate enough to have already had 2 tumors removed (thankfully both were benign!!) It's a joke in our house that we pay for the vets Christmas party! - they should get a good one this year!!! Wouldn't change him for the world though.
  12. sue rich

sue rich New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Wow! 18 years! My last dogs were golden retrievers and the last one I lost , Boo, was the oldest yet and I thought it was good that she lived 14 years!
    They do throw themselves wholeheartedly into things, yes. I think that must be why Jaz is so accident prone so maybe he won't improve with age:-o . I thought he might but never mind, as long as he enjoys life, that's all that matters. I've just come back on the computer for half an hour as he's been so busy, he's gone to sleep exhausted under the desk:p . Peace perfect peace!
    When I decided on a flattie, I'd not heard about them being prone to cancer and when I joined 'dogsey' I read about it and was a bit worried, but I can't be like that though, because I'll miss all the good bits if I'm always worrying, but I guess Ted is an example of what may come. So pleased he came through it all intact, poor baby :-(
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    the woman i work for breeds flatcoats and unfortunately cancer is common. she has lost one at 9 to it and one she bred which someone owned died last week at the age of 6 as she had cancer in her stomach :-(

but theyre well worth it, theyre gorgeous dogs and have such character. i love them :grin:
  14. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    Hello Sue,
    I am pleased to hear Jazz has recovered from his slip on the floor and he was not badly injured. Flatcoats are such lively, inquisitive dogs and you do have to be able to anticipate what they are likely to do, especially as youngsters and when they go outside into the wider world. I have always said that they have no regard for what they put their bodies through and, as a result, they will attempt things that most other dogs would not do. They have a high pain threshold and can very often hurt themselves without you realising it. They are very courageous and most will tackle any type of terrain; this is what makes them such good gun dogs and hunters, they have no fear and are very willing to go through anything. Water, is a particular love and inexperienced dogs/pups can get into difficulty because of their impetuous nature. This is how they have been bred to be and when sympathetically and reliably trained and channelled it is a very valuable asset. It should be remembered that flatcoats are still true "working" dogs who have been bred to think for themselves - and again this can bring problems. They do need something to do. You will probably find that they are quite a lot different from golden retrievers and they do need sensitive and knowledgeable training. A flatcoat gives the impression that he is an airhead sometimes, but really it is quite the opposite (for all those I have known anyway). There is a comic eccentricity about them though which some people find a bit difficult to understand.
    They are prone to cancers, and one of mine has had a malignant melanoma, although I believe she has recovered from it now as it has been over three years since she had surgery. Just watch out for lumps and bumps and when you groom, go over the glands, ears, feet and mouth for anything unusual. If anything does crop up, if it can be caught early it can often be sorted out.
    You have chosen a very special breed and I personally would not choose another breed, so enjoy your Jazz - get him trained and he will reward you in ways you never imagined. You could not have a better companion. Good luck.
  15. Crichton

Crichton New Member

Name:
    June
    Very well put:grin:

A lot of people cannot understand what we see in flatcoats but for me their love of live and character is unbeatable.

The downside of course is likelihood of cancer but for me it's a risk worht taking.

The only other negative I can think of is they should all be born with a zip to the stomach just in case:lol:
  16. sue rich

sue rich New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Thank you very much for that, it's good to know all the possibilities. He is a real handful, always on the go and often goes too far! We're getting to know each other better now and when I can take him out next week, it'll be brilliant.
    As far as training's concerned, I have of course already started in a small way and it will be an ongoing project because it's something I enjoy and I'm not too bad at it. I don't find him sulky either, I left him for a couple of hours today and he almost licked my face away!
    I have already realised he's not like a goldie, but he's quick on the uptake and although he seems to have a mind of his own, when he knows I'm serious about something and I really put my foot down, he's very obedient to say how young he is. I took him to my sister's house last wek and he attempted to climb the stairs and after I'd brought him down and told him 'no', I heard a whine behind me, and he was sitting at the bottom of the stairs, looking up and crying. He knew he wasn't allowed up there but he still wanted to go!
    It's hard to occupy his mind when he's constantly at home, but I do as much as I can with him and he's definitely happy.:lol:
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i love them and i dont even own one!! :grin: i hate leaving them at work lol :lol: wish i could sneak them all home with me, although i dont know how my house would cope with 6 flat coats :grin: plus we have a litter of 11 at the mo :grin: ive fallen in love with one little girl but i know i cant have her :-(
  18. sue rich

sue rich New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Jaz has just come back from his very 1st walk on the park! We were only gone 15 minutes but he's now fast asleep and I hope dreaming excited dreams :grin:.
    The only negative occurence was the fact that the dustbinmen decided to drive down the street as we were walking up it, he didn't much like that! However I can't believe how excited I am, just to be able to take him out at long last and look forward to the next little walk, we both loved it.:lol:
  19. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    :023:
    It is good when you can take them out and about a bit. So that they could get used to many different things and people I always take mine into the town (not for shopping) to just watch people going by. People come up to you and your pup will see many different types of people. It is also useful to get them used to traffic, by going out to watch the cars and lorries going by. If you can introduce these things gradually and can just concentrate on him and his reactions, he should soon get used to noise and strange things outside. Good luck
  20. sue rich

sue rich New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Thanks! I've done that today. I've sat on a bench with him outside the local shops and he loved it. He got lots of fuss and the traffic didn't seem to phase him one bit. I was extra pleased because once more, we came across the dustbinmen, but this time a couple of them came and gave him a fuss and he didn't flinch at all when they drove off. He's met a few dogs, one he had a game with, but he's still a bit boisterous for some of the bigger, gentler ones :)
  21. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    You are welcome Sue. The more things you can show him when he is a pup the more confident he will eventually be. I do envy you with your Jaz - I would love to be starting with another flatcoat, but I have too many family committments for the next year or two.