Foxhound Discussions

Discussion in 'Foxhound' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. munchkin

munchkin New Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi there, I have a Hamiltonstovare (Swedish Foxhound) I have only had her for just over 4 month and was told to be very wary of letting her off the lead. With training every day she now will come back 99.9 per cent of the times when I call her. (her stomach usually always over rules her scent). But I always make sure we are well away from any roads or dangers before letting her off, as I do with my other dog who is a collie Cross springer who comes back 100 per cent of the time. I think vigilence is always best with any dog. There are always hidden distractions no matter what the breed!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    There are very few Foxhounds of the domestic variety in the UK perhaps with good reason as they are happy in packs and most homes could not accommodate a pack of Foxhounds or a mix of large hounds. Anyone living near a hunting kennels, who has the experience, can puppy walk though but there will come a time when they have to return the pup to the kennels so it takes a special sort of person. Will see if I can find a photo of a show Foxhound for you and one of a hunt hound but it will require some digging.
  4. munchkin

munchkin New Member

Name:
    Carole
    My breed does not hunt in packs, they were bred to work singly or in pairs. They hunt fox and Hare, through the forests in Sweden.
    I am lucky that we have a farm so she can have unlimited freedom in a secure environment.
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    A farm in Birmingham?? :mrgreen:

My boss had a Hamilton, unfortunatley he was very nasty and attacked both his owners and was PTS at 7yrs. Yours looks a lovely girl!
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    I know Munchkin but this is a Foxhound thread so I was talking foxhound, there is a Hamilton thread where you could add your photos so people who are interested in them could see some examples.
  7. munchkin

munchkin New Member

Name:
    Carole
    Outskirts of Birmingham Borderdawn, the country outskirts!!!!
    Pitta a hamilton is a foxhound breed!!
    Swedish Foxhound.
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I was kidding, I live a mile from Birmingham!
  9. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Yes I know that also but there is a separate thread for the Hamiltons, just thought it would be nice if you put a picture there that was all. if you don't want to for some reason that is up to you.

These breed sections were laid out according to the KC breed groups, they may not now be, and as the Foxhound, and the Hamilton are recognised by the KC as different breeds it would be nice not to confuse the two who only have a superficial resemblance and a different standard.
  10. munchkin

munchkin New Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh please don't think I am being funny. I am new to the Hamilton breed. she is the first one I have ever owned as I lost my old dog last year. It is thought that she was a Hamilton cross german shepherd and I wanted another dog with similar temperament and funny ways... I do love the breed as they love human company and are very vocal.
    It is nice to be in touch with other people who know about the breed.
    I have posted sa pic on the hamilton thread and tried to send a pic for the breed profile page. Thank you for your advice.
  11. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    A friend of mine has a Hamiltonstovare and she is stunning. Very sweet natured, and im pretty sure he lets her off the lead ok. They seem much more domesticated than Foxhounds.

The farm i get the hay from for my horses often have foxhound puppies. They take them in for the hunt for about 6 months and return them when they're ready to be trained. They live in the kennels, but when we've been there they've been loose around the farm with the working border collies and they seemed very obedient to me! They had wonderful temperments, all walked well on a lead and they certainly hadn't chewed the kennels :grin:
  12. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    We had a rescued fox hound start in training classes last week. He is a year old, absolutly beautiful and very intelligent. The new owners have had him three weeks but never seen him sit down, he is a stander or lier downer....but within 5 minutes of clicker training he was offering sits regularly and then downs as well. They had also never heard him bay....but he did it as soon as he saw the other dogs in class.

They are besotted with him, but say that he is a houdini and disappeared the first time they let him off lead in what they thought was a completely enclosed space. They haven't tried off lead since, but aren't rulling it out completely.

He is beautiful, and a big softie.
  13. mad4foxhounds

mad4foxhounds New Member

Name:
    jackie
    i run foxhound rescue and believe foxhounds are what you put into them, my own hounds are off daily and have good recalled but knowing they could run off i have worked hard with them my oldest bitch now 6 not pack as not tatooed, has passed her kennel club good citzens scheme bronze silver and gold, and does agility and hunting the clean boot (like what bloodhounds do)
    my new dog hound is from show and hunting stock their is very little difference between the two types as show stock having been out crossed to hound that hunt to keep the gene pool wide unlike other breeds with reduces riskes in ill health. and foxhound dont come from beagle the come from bloodhounds crossed with terriers and sight hounds wayway way back when, pointers (english) coon hounds and the like all have foxhound blood in them. im glad your hounds and hound crosses found the loving homes they needed wish more would give this breed a chance to win their hearts,
  14. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    My son has a dog the shelter said was a Plotzhound. I found that improbable. In my book it looks more like a Fox Hound. However, it all brown and white and carries its tail forward, a sickle or ring. Are there Fox Hounds like that?