Golden Retrievers - Hip and elbow scores Health

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by SmokeyRabbit, Jul 2, 2012.

1. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa

Golden Retrievers - Hip and elbow scores

Ok i am totally blonde found myself looking at champ dogs tonight at golden retriever litters,after mum was eyeing some up at a companion show last few weekends we lost our golden retriever bitch in March 2010,just need to find £750-800 first and persuade dad currently 2 against one.

Anyway that aside i thought i,d start doing some research i see breeders are now listing health test results for sire and dam,the litter is breed from can someone eplain what these results mean for hip and elbow scores.

Is it advisable not to purchase pups from parents with a higher number hip or elbow score?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. ljru1970

ljru1970 New Member

Name:
    ljru1970
    I've owned all 2 breeds the same as you & would say my Goldie was the best, miss him & I too look on there.

Have you considered a rescue? I know not many end up in rescues, but there is an organisation called Irishretriever rescue.

Good Luck (& I'm jealous)
  4. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    berry likes this.
  5. charliegirl

charliegirl New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    berry likes this.
    I havnt helped have I? ;-)
    I have to have my lil man hip scored if I want to breed him and have his pups registered with the KC.
  6. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa
    berry likes this.
    Thanks i ll read those links,the way things are i think that 1-2 years could turn into longer :( depending on finances and our persuasion skills but definitely one day. A rescue would be great as mums now in mid 60s but i would like to show above companion level,qualify for crufts etc which means id need papers in my name or our family name to do open and champ shows,Even with a pup we would favour male over female as mum has said she would want a bitch done pronto after we lost ours to pyometra she never bleed and we got her at 4 years and lost her at nearly 12,vet said she must have had silent seasons,also our retriever we had had arthritis from around 8 years of age.Any pup would be nuetered eventually after say 5-8years after we had dipped our feet in the open champ show circuit,its just as even though you can show them nuetered i ve heard even if there the better specimen of breed under most judges they wont place as high as there entire counterparts.
  7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Have you ever seen any working line goldens?
    The ones I have met have been smaller and more slender in body, and much more golden than cream or white. They are busy and active, and would need a lot of extra training and a job to do, but that's what I'd go for if I wanted a Goldie... providing health tests were done.

Edit; just seen you are wishing to show - obviously not working lines then!
  8. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa
    i wouldnt mind doing some agility but other than that i would like to take showing to the next level,i can only do companion as have a crossbreed, we never showed our previous golden above companion level,came across pedigree papers after she died and they only ever breed one litter and papers were never transfered out of breeders name into my mums god daughters we took her on in 2001. I would prefer cream or golden but its all a dream at the moment but i certaintly hope to make it into reality.
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The best thing to do is join the GR Club(s) and the GR Breed Council so that you can keep apprised of their Champ Shows, litters and issues specific to the breed. including health.

http://www.thegoldenretrieverclub.co.uk/
    http://goldenretrievers.co.uk/

The breed should be hip scored and eye tested but the ABS of the KC and the clubs will have further details on the issues facing the breed as well as the AHT.
  10. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa
    Thanks will look into the above when i get a chance smokeybear,I already subscribe to dog world newspaper so have some idea of champ show results available to hand.
  11. goldiemad

goldiemad New Member

Name:
    jenny
    The idea to join The Golden Retriever Club is a good one, but you would probably be better contacting your local Breed Club as they will run event throughout the year inyour area that you will be able to attend and meet breeders in your area. As a breed we are a friendy lot and welcome newcomers to the breed. It is likely that at such events you will get to know local breeders/owners who will be able to explain things to you and introduce you to other people within the breed. Unfortunately as a breed an awful lot of Critiques don't get published in DogWorld or Our Dogs.

As a general rule regarding health testing, you would be looking for eye testing, hip scoring and elbow scoring. Elbows are a problem that seem to be coming to the forefront.

Please do realise though that you are looking to start showing a breed that is very popuar and class sizes can be high. You probably realise this, but it is surprising how often people start out showing and dreaming of entering Crufts, only to be very disheartened when they find it a struggle to get placed at a Champ Show.

Hope this helps and if you want to send me a pm I will let you have contact details for your local Club.
  12. SmokeyRabbit

SmokeyRabbit New Member

Name:
    Teresa
    Thanks i.ll be new to major showing but not the breed.we had to have a goldie pts in 2010 at 11.y8months.we did do companion showing but not breed.