Golden retrievers iinfo wanted. Questions

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by beau, Dec 16, 2010.

1. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg

Golden retrievers iinfo wanted.

Golden retrievers are on my wishlist, so could anyone tell me what they are like to live with.
    I know that they shed a lot, but we used to own a newfie years ago who would shed bucket loads so was wondering if they are as bad as that?
    how much exercise do they need also.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    My OH would love a GR, but I think it might be a few years before we get round to it.

There's quite a difference between some of the show and working GR's, so expect a few different responses. If you want to see some nice working GR's, take a look at the breeder 'Canburne', really lovely dogs, should come up if you google it.
  4. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    Do the working GR's have higher energy levels or is it more to do with size?

Thank you for the name of the breeder, I will look them up now.
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Carishill, bred by Ann Wright are also great, the first and to date only GR WT Ch was bred by her, there are a lot in WT and they all have superb temperaments.

If you google the GR club, national, there is some excellent info on there re health tests, difference between show and working and best practice.

Warning:

The muddy dog on the white bed advert is a GR! ;)

Higher energy levels and, in general they tend to be smaller than the show/pet dogs.

They are often, but not always, darker too.
  6. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    To be quite honest, I don't have any personal experience of GR's, just seen them out working in the field, and they are beautiful dogs. I've spoken to Bruce at Canburne, he comes across as a lovely guy and knows his stuff about GR's.

If they're anything like Labs, actually, the working type will be very biddable, and want to please, something that some of the non-working varieties seem to lack sometimes. My two aren't working, and although they have a desire to please, it's more on their terms, if that makes sense. The little working bred Lab I'm looking after is such a lot easier in many respects than either of mine were as pups, she's walks to heel almost naturally, her one bad habit is poo eating, yuck!

You don't seem to see as many of the lovely rich golden colour in the show ring, they're much paler, almost white in some cases. I do much prefer the darker golden colours.

But I'll leave more definitive answers from GR owners, I'm sure they'll be able to tell you if there's a difference between the show/working and all those inbetween, and what that difference is, if any.
  7. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    There is a pair in our village which are show type (well they are heavy and almost white) they are a bit 'iffy' one has gone for my Dad and both bark nastily at other dogs.

An other at the training classes we go to (also show type) is very lively bouncy and looks a handful but is friendly.

I'd recomend talking to people in the breed and find out what would suit you. Like Tarimmor said I find working lines of gundog more biddable I don't really know lines of goldens but depending on which lines you compare I expect some working lines would not need more exercise than one from a show line.

Sophie
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There have been a lot of temperament problems in GRs in the last 20 years due to unsuitable breedings and breeders.

There are some very good lines though, hence why it is better to go via a breed club than rely on any old bod or even the KC site.
  9. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    When I was growing up, we had 2 GR, from show lines, both from pups, 2 years apart. Bonnie came first, then Clyde.

They were the most amazing dogs, my sister Lucy was born when we only had Bonnie, and she took it upon herself to be the baby protector! We've got some pics somewhere, I'll have to scan them in. Clyde was the same when Aimee was born, although he was older than Bonnie was when Lucy was born, if you know what I mean. They both tolerated being climbed all over!

They were fantastic out walking, never showed any aggression to any dog/person. I used to walk the pair by myself from when I was about 12 upwards, used to spend hours out with them!

They seem to attract dirt rather easily, and B & C LOVED getting in the muddiest puddles they could find! They did shed a fair bit, but Mum had laminate flooring, so was easy to hoover up! They thought they were lapdogs as well, Mum would often come downstairs in a morning and find me cuddled up on the sofa with them! :)

Unfortunatly, we lost Bonnie to cancer 2 years ago this month and we lost Clyde last year to a stroke. They were both so loving right up until the end, and we still miss them so much, they were really the heart of our family.

I am hoping to add a working GR to me team one day, my friend has one, and she is one of the nicest, prettiest dogs I've met.

Bonnie;
    as a young'un
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    During her last couple of weeks
    [​IMG]
    With my sister;
    [​IMG]

Clyde with my Sister, (It's the only one I've got on the pc of him!)
    [​IMG]

Hope this is a teeny bit helpful! :)
  10. Mollybobs

Mollybobs New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I have always had GRs and labs, and think they are the bes knees:grin: Mind you, every dog owner probably thinks that!
    Molly does shed a lot in the winter - central heating - but although she does shed in the summer, it is manageable. She is no bother at all, apart from being able to spot water (in whatever form) from half a mile away;-)
    She is prone to a touch of arthritis now, but still loves her walks. Not overly interested in any other dogs, she never initiates contact, but if a playful pup approaches her, she reverts to puppyhood herself and joins in with gusto! If she meets any 'iffy' dog, she just rolls over and shows her belly - my girl just has no intention of peeing anyone off! She loves Max (our cat) and often has play fights with him and is fantastic with kids. My nephews used to dress her up, and she would sit patiently letting them, then posed for photos in her sunglasses/antlers/whatever.
    I can honestly say that she is a joy to live with, but I have looked after a friends GR, and that was another story - he drove me to a frazzle.
    I do think that a lot of traits are inherrent, but that if you have a dog from a pup, a lot of what they turn out like is down to the way they are raised. When we had our first GR, my children were small, the house was noisy, it was an excitable atmosphere. Sam was an excitable dog! Always on the go, always in trouble, but great fun none the less. Now my family have grown and gone, the house is quiet and peaceful and Molly reflects that. She never barks, 'talks' to us when its time for her tea, plods at a pace that suits her and is gentle with everyone she meets. She lies at my feet when I am working, loves a ride in the car, and heaven is a ham bone:grin:
  11. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    Thanks guys for all of this information, I had originally wanted a toy breed but there is something about the goldie face that gets to me, they have such wise faces.

My only worry is that they would be too much for me, we did own a newfie years ago and apart from the shedding I hardly knew that she was in the house, even when we would come home she would just lift her head to look at us then go back to sleep, but then she was very lazy so that could have just been her.
    This time around we want a smaller dog, and compared to newfies most dogs are smaller lol.
  12. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    All the Goldens I've met have been very friendly, happy and nice and laidback. They're very popular in the show ring, there's regularly at least 20-30 at most open shows I've been to and they're always well behaved.

A lovely breed, just a bit too much hair for me. Spaniels are bad enough for now! :lol:
  13. talassie

talassie New Member

Name:
    Irena
    I love goldies.

Rosie was part show part working. She wasn't really interested in other dogs but used to play with my shepherd. She loved people and she loved food. We called her the Hoover and there were no crumbs around when she was there. Very laid back and got on with everyone. She was afraid of loud noises and hated fireworks, probably because someone fired a gun close by at gundog training. She was 15 years old when we lost her and healthy all her life apart from a bit of arthritis in old age and spay-related incontinence problems.

Maisie is also part show part working. She is just 4 months but very intelligent and keen to learn as long as it's made fun. She likes other dogs but not obsessively and she manages social situations well. She also loves people and food. She is quite sensitive to strange noises and strange objects. But my older dog is not, so together we managed to cure her of her firework fears.

I think they need a fair bit of exercise like any dog of that size. My experience is that the working lines are easier and not particularly more energetic. But I have never had one from pure showlines.

I would pay particular attention to hip scores and would meet the mother and see whether you like her personality.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  14. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    Thank you for the reply, I want one even more now.
  15. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I have a 3yr old Goldie, he's a great dog.
    I find him quite large, but I was used to cocker spaniels before getting him (they are great dogs too!)
    Good points -
    he's very good natured with people and other dogs.
    he was very quick to housetrain and he learns quickly.
    loves his family, exercise, food and toys
    Bad points -
    he's very, very messy :roll:
    shed's hair constantly (although it's been better now he's been professionally groomed this year)
    Charlie has been a fantastic family dog, he is so good natured he gets bossed around by the cat!
    I searched for a while for a good breeder before getting him, I've read about some issues with temperament in the breed but I've only ever met 1 goldie who was not so nice.
    ps, his best friends are mother and daughter Newfies, he doesn't look too big next to them, he is about the same size as the 1yr old Newfie he plays with.
    [​IMG]
  16. Jessi Clark

Jessi Clark New Member

Name:
    Jess
    We looked at goldies before we got our irish setter and found lots of people breeding them to look like small polar bears:shock: , very pale in colour and extremely thick coats, definitely check hip scores and insist on meeting as many family members as possible as some of the hip scores I was looking at were horrifying and I do worry that some more unscrupulous breeders are having litters to cash in on the look of the popular show goldies rather than taking all aspects of the dog, such a temperament, into consideration. We have one that lives near us that goes for Chester every time, before him though I'd never met one that wasn't a big cuddly, very hairy, lump!:lol: Good luck in your search, remember we want tons of pics if you find one!!:mrgreen:
  17. goldiemad

goldiemad New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I have a show bred Golden Retriever and I have to say she is the easiest dog I have ever owned.
    Good points: loves everybody and everything, very biddable and can't do enough to please, totally non-reactive if another dog has a pop at her, very laid back, game for a rough and tumble with my son yet exceptionally gentle with my young nephew, only sheds twice a year (quite a shock after living with GSD's) and the list goes on.....
    Bad points: only one really, absolute water/mud monster.

At shows it is incredibly rare for their to be a cross word between the dogs, they love meeting each other and all the attention they get.

There is considerable difference between show and working bred goldens, and IMHO a show bred golden is more likely to have that gentle, laid back character that goldens are associated with. Have a look at the website for The Golden Retriever Club and you will see contact details for all the regional breed clubs, if you contact them they would be happy to put you in touch with local breeders who abide by the clubs code of ethics and you will be assured you are talking to a responsible breeder who undertakes all the necessary health checks.

Hope that helps a little and good luck in your search for the perfect puppy.
  18. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    Many thanks to all who replied, at the moment goldens are just on my wish list, I think we need a bigger house first, either that or get rid of some furniture haha.

I do love them though and one day will be the proud owner of one, I think we will probably own a toy breed first and then in years to come own a golden, at least we should have a lot more knowledge about the breed then.
  19. GoldenGirls

GoldenGirls New Member

Name:
    Bb bbb bb
    Sounding a bit biased I know but I dont think you can go wrong with Goldens. I own two bitches they have fantastic temperaments, love company,very affectionate.

I walk my two, 3 times a day on lead then off lead for a good run.

They do shed alot of hair and need to be kept well groomed.
    Watch their food intake (very piggy) can tend to gulp food down.

Hope you get to own one soon...once you do its Goldens all the way! :grin:
  20. missy01

missy01 New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    we have just introduced an 8 month old show - bred GR to the family, so far so good. O/H also had one when he was growing up, and I knew her for about 6 months before she passed on, she was the most gentle dog I ever met, loved people and other dogs. O/H says he still misses her.
    If you have the space and can exercise them (A LOT - they get tubby easily) then they are pretty much perfect dogs
  21. beau

beau New Member

Name:
    nutmeg
    I do still really like them and my hubby likes them too, which is good as he doesnt like any other breeds that I like. It's just the hair that worries me and if one would be two big for our house, i think i could possibly squeeze one in if i move bits around.

The only other problem is, after watching marley and me, my husband thinks this is what a golden would be like as a youngster.