Gordon/Irish setter and Goldie/Flattie owners please!! General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Setter' started by Petticoat, Sep 29, 2008.

1. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Hi Claire :grin:

Having had both English and Irish Setters I have always found the Irish to be far more obedient than those naughty English ones...maybe thats just me though, the English do make me laugh with their antics so I find it difficult to chastise them :blush:

I was considering a Gordon at one time...I love them dearly...but a friend told me that I would have a problem as I'm too soft and they need to be put in their place! Not sure I agree with that but, under the circumstances, its just as well I didn't go ahead when offered a pup last year.

I also love the FCR and Goldies :grin:

I can't wait to hear what you go for.

Sheree xx

ps big hugs to the babies :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Its a hard one and to be honest I am still looking into all 4 still, but............... I am leaning towards a Gordon.... I have lots of time to do the research, as no newcomers until at least end of 2009, due to a hopeful housemove. Of course I will want all 4 in my life at some point:grin:
    I even have the names sorted out!!!:roll: :lol:
  4. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I have the name f my Flat Coat bitch sorted as of today and she is just a glimmer in her daddys eye right now....
  5. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Awwww, I can't wait to see her when she arrives, bet she will be as delicious as Cosmo:grin:
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    She'll hopefully be a relative so fingers crossed! I must be mad.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not for a while yet though...
  7. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    The Gordons are addictive I have to say - although like you can't resist the English and Irish either !!!

For some reason the R&W dont' have the same appeal!

Let me know if you want to try and meet somewhere.
  8. Archiebongo

Archiebongo New Member

Name:
    Jill
    They don't all need a firm hand. My boy would go to pieces if you shouted at him or were too firm. They need to know the boundaries but I've found them to very sensitive as well.

Jill
  9. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Thats what I thought Jill, certainly the ones I've been lucky to meet have all been total softees :grin:
  10. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Sheree have to agree with Jill - they get very upset if too harsh and it would take forever to get their trust back.

They aren't as soppy as the English but love a cuddle and kiss :)
  11. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I was told that the Gordons are more aloof than the English and the Irish more scatty?!!! As all three of my English are different and even my first wasn't the same, I know that not all dogs the same;-) What are the height and weight differences, knowing that my lot are small for English and that they are the smallest of the setters.... And the coats, do they require the same show trim or just a small clipping?
    I also would like to know that about Goldies and Flatties too;-) I have met both breeds and they seem quite big, but my lot are small English as Nanny was small;-) :lol:
    Plus what books/ internet sites would you recommend...:mrgreen:
    Thanks to those who have offered me some lovely advice so far and I have cleared my inbox if you can PM me further advise/reccommendations:002:
  12. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hello me again Claire :)

No no to the aloofness not in my house LOL - they are my followers - Charlie will snooze and not move but the gordons as soon as I get up are checking out what's going on - they would be my constant followers - I think they tend to single out and be a one-person dog.

And I wouldn't say that my Irish was scatty either - but I know many people would disagree LOL!

Re: the weight - well the Gordon is defined as the heaviest of the breeds but think this depends on the breeding really -1 of mine is very fine for a male - another about right, Connor still maturing. They mature ALOT slower than the English in body. And although some might say mine are small for Gordons Angus is the right height and he isn't that much taller than Charlie (English) - I will try and send you some piccies so you can see the different in build.

The Irish are more elegant looking and poss. taller I would say out of the three - racier looking (prob. not the right word!)

Websites : you have probably already found these!

http://www.britishgordonsetterclub.co.uk/

http://www.gordonsetterassociation.co.uk/

http://www.irishsetter.org.uk/

Gordon Setters Today by Jose Baddeley is a super book well worth reading.

Coat care:

Both the Irish and Gordon are hand stripped ideally but for a pet coat you could get away with a Coat King - but NO NO CLIPPING!!!

There is a super Gordon Setter Handbook that the BGSC do and it has a super grooming section.

I have sent you a super Care of the Gordon link too via pm.

All the best honey! Sorry seem to have gone on alot again!

xx
  13. Archiebongo

Archiebongo New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Hi Claire

As Rachel has already said, they do vary in size depending on the lines they're from. My boy is very stocky and mature for his age and has alot of coat. Archie, who was his cousin had a long coat but not so thick. I'll PM you a link to photos taken at crufts on most of the class winners so you can see the variety in coats etc.

Jill
  14. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Thanks so much hun, you really have helped me:grin:
    Aw thanks hun, love looking at pics!!! Will be back with many questions soon:002:
  15. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Fire away with Flat Coat questions and I'll do my best!!!!!

Have to admit we were very tempted by a Gordon too, still are, or an English!
  16. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Go on you know you want to!!! :)
  17. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    :lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I think they are lovely! Meeting your beautiful boy didn't help!
  18. queeniefarie

queeniefarie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Irish Setters rule! At this point I will tell you that I am totally and utterly biased!! I have lived with them since 1976BC (before children) I have never had cross words between them, my children (all grown up and married) are awaiting puppies at the moment. I remember when my son was learning to walk, he wobbled and fell on my sleeping Irish, I held my breath and rushed to avert any trouble, my darling bitch opened one eye and licked my son on his hand and went back to sleep. I am an addict,
    I love Irish Setters x
  19. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    a friend of mine has a gordon..his name is dufus and it suits him perfectly!
  20. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    I would have a flatcoated retriever any day. They are not for everyone as they are very demanding and it is true that they are the peter pan of breeds (never grow up). If you want an in your face dog who NEEDS to be with you all the time then think of a flatcoat. However, they do often suffer separation anxiety and can find very inventive ways of enertaining themselves when left alone for very long, i.e. creative destruction. :mini:
  21. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Aren't they just the best!!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: