Griffon Bruxellios what are they like? Questions

Discussion in 'Griffon Bruxellois' started by Petticoat, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat

Griffon Bruxellios what are they like?

I have been thinking for some time about dog number 4 and what it will be... Preferably a rescue and something a little less nutty than an English setter!! I also have been thinking about a small dog, as I have 2 hairy buffoons and Codee will also grow into a big girl (she is up to Deacon already at 8mths!!)...
    There are lots of dogs I like and this addition will have to wait until Codee is alot older and we move house... but I like to prepare!!
    I was watching the judging on Crufts yesterday and say the most delightful dog and thought wow!! She was small, but seemed to have something about her... she was a Griffon Bruxellois and I have never heard of them and wondered if anyone had? I did a quick search on here, but no-one seems to have one:-(
    But I know there is a wealth of knowledge on here so thought I would ask anyway!! :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I don't know but they were the featured breed in one of the Dog magazines out this month so that would give you a good idea as they tell you about the breed's health and stories from owners with that particular breed as to what sort of pets they make.

I think the only thing that would worry me is that they have squashy faces so perhaps may suffer from breathing problems?
  4. blkntanbull

blkntanbull New Member

Name:
    roy
    from the griffons we've met or seen at shows,i'd say their temperament is more like a terrier than toy.the ones we've met have been quite feisty although not all may be like it.we've been judged by one of the top breeders in griffons who was handling the griffon in the toy group at crufts,he seems to have had a few generations of champions.griffons come in red,black and black and tan and in both smooth coats and rough coats.the bob at crufts was a red rough.i think they need their coats stripping to keep tidy if they are the rough variety.hope this is of some help.
  5. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Thanks, yes that would concern me too, I will be doing my research thoroughly though so I can decide if it would be a future dog for us:grin:
    Thanks, I do like animals with attitude (usually rabbits and guinea pigs!!) but my setters are very laid back and easily dominated so the next dog would have to be not too dominate... so will need to thoroughly research any future dog, thanks for the help!;-)
  6. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    I saw and spoke to the people (very busy) on DD with this breed today...oddly enough they caught my eye and they were on the end of the row...the ones in DD were really friendly...however while I was there this breed caught my eye too...affenpinscher...I tell you I will be looking into these as a future breed to consider for me. Have a look.
  7. MollyBoston

MollyBoston New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    Yeah the griffons caught my eye too :) is it just me or do they look a bit like a character from star wars or something? Very cute looking dogs!
  8. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    "Yeah the griffons caught my eye too is it just me or do they look a bit like a character from star wars or something?"

''''could it be Chewbacca?!!
  9. MollyBoston

MollyBoston New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    hahaha yeah thats it :D they are SO cute!!!
  10. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Most definitely not terrier temperament!:shock:

Griffs are the gentlemen and ladies of this world. :grin: They are sweet natured, they love their humans and want nothing better than to be close to you - bit like a Boxer in fact:mrgreen: However whereas the Boxer likes his or her whole family [they too usually have one person but extend it to everyone] the little Griff has one very special person he or she will attach themselves to. It may not be the person who buys him/her either, they will choose the person in the family that "they" want to belong to.

The rough coats do need stripped regularly - not clipped:shock: It will ruin the coat if clipped. If showing they will need stripped 3-4 times a year. When stripped down they are left with a very soft undercoat - almost puppylike and so cuddly. Then of course when showing you are almost demented "praying" the new coat will be through in time for the next show:mrgreen: You can use a stripping knife but it is preferable to hand strip and if done correctly will not hurt or annoy the dog.

The smooth Griff [Brabancon] is much easier to manage in terms of coat -some folk confuse them with baby "Boxers":mrgreen:

A puppy Griff will almost seem "old" and knowing before his time. As a breed they are very endearing, sensible, fun, loyal, alert, intelligent - just a smashing little dog and yes maybe I do sound biased but I had them for many years and showed them as well:lol:

Breathing problems - like any brachial breed you do need to take care in the hot summer months, if you havent got air conditioning - keep the fans on and lots of fresh clean drinking water. We personally never had any breathing problems.

As a puppy they are tiny so if you have large breeds you would need to take care in case they are unintentionally hurt.

They are not yappy dogs.

Any other questions feel free to ask...........
  11. rubylover

rubylover New Member

Name:
    rubylover
    I have never met a member of this breed so I can't comment about experiences, but I have read many a wonderful email about them from one of their devoted breeders - Jeanie Montford.

Just to note that if you do decide to pursue a pup of this breed, they share some common ancestors - in the late 1800s/early 1900s - with the King Charles Spaniel, and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and are another of the breeds with a heightened risk of syringomyelia. It would be important for conscientious and involved breeders to be using MRI testing on their stock.

I have read from a couple of Brussel Gruxellios pet owners, now on the SM list, who have been blindsided by this condition, not knowing their pups might have been at risk for it.

http://www.griffonclub1897.co.uk/Syringomyelia.html

http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/newresearch.htm