GSP Car crate Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Jamie Woolley, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Jamie Woolley

Jamie Woolley New Member

Name:
    Jamie
    6JRT's likes this.

GSP Car crate

Hi,

We have a 6 month old GSP and are looking to buy a crate to put in the back of the car. We need it to be big enough to accomodate her when shes fully grown. Can anybody recomend any crates? I have a 4x4 with a large boot.

Thanks, Jamie
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Don't buy a collapsible one as they offer no protection to dog if your in accident, look out for the the ones that have been crash tested with a good rating & built-in crumple zone absorbs impact Sides/top

Crash tested cages
    mim-safe-variocage-crash-tested-dog-cage-single-and-double.jpg
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Or have a dog guard and a tailgate fitted, which allows the maximum amount of space for large or multiple dogs.
    With the addition of a padlock for safety, this allows you to leave the vehicle door open when you are enjoying activities with your dog in Summer.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I used to get specially made guards/tail gates with doors, but found to my expense you stand the risk of the car interior being chewed/scratched not to mention snotty noses on the windows, plus they don’t have extra back exit emergency door and there’s more room for the dog to be thrown forward.

I never use crates at home but my dogs travel in them they also have 2 doors encase one is damaged in the event of an accident’ having been rear ended once and couldn’t get the boot open I realised how important a double door was, also if you break down on a busy road It's better to get them out in the car and get the lead on rather than risking them bolting past you onto the road.
    As far as im aware there is not an ISO/EN/BSi standard for car crates or safety belts.
    But like everything you get what you pay for.
    As for the size when you have decided what type you want most give the sizes for breeds or similar.
  6. mbaus

mbaus New Member

Name:
    Mike
    These crates are outstanding. https://www.gunnerkennels.com/

They are crushproof, and as CaroleC mentioned lockable. These don't even require a separate padlock. They have points to tie down and secure it tightly to prevent any shifting of your buddies ride.