GWP info please General Chat

Discussion in 'German Wirehaired Pointer' started by x-clo-x, Feb 7, 2012.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

GWP info please

what can people tell me about them?

ive looked through the threads on here, but there isnt much information on them.

what are they like to own? are they quite driven to work? just after a bit of info, what they are like temperament wise? health problems.. anything really :grin: pictures as well please :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I've never owned one but have done my research on them. From that I have found they are very driven, intelligent and can be hard work.

Thats all I can remember because the last dog I looked at was the HV and now I'm trying not to get mixed up :lol:
  4. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I have one and did have two until just before Christmas. Lovely breed. Mine is quite laid back (so was my previous one) but fantastic workers with a lot of drive.

Teal - not sure if you saw these the first time I posted them?:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She isn't as hairy as a lot of them and my next one, I would like to be a bit hairier - I have already made tentative enquiries about getting a pup at the end of the year.

You do have to be careful of the lines regarding temp and health but if you find a good one, you couldn't go wrong. I know a lot in "pet" homes, who are fine.

Best place to look for all the health information is the GWP club website http://gwpclub.co.uk/ and also look for breeders websites - bareve.co.uk being a good one as she has been in the breed for a LONG time and does breed some stunning dogs (possibly where I am getting my next one from), and breeds for temp, as well as show/working as she shows herself - with a lot of breed records to her name, as well as trials.

I have found them to be fairly easy to train, although my inexperience of them resulted in a few problems with my first dog when he hit the teenage years but I had a lot of backup and we came through it. They do need to be trained and do need to be either active, or working but as I said, a "pet" home is fine, as long as it's the right one.

If there is anything specific you want to know, just ask.

Helen
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    :lol: :lol: :lol: oh i know i read so much stuff, its hard to remember which ones are which :lol:
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thanks for that :grin: gorgeous dog :grin: will take a look at the sites you gave me, it may answer some questions. :grin:
  7. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Yes, they are very driven to work because there is no divide between working and showing in this breed.

Healthwise the minimum tests they should have are hips and elbows scored, tested for vWD and checked for DCM.

They are not an easy breed to own, tending to be 'sharper' in their nature than most other HPR's (or any other gundog). They can be stubborn, strong willed and are the 'bruisers' amongst HPR's.

It depends what you want from a dog - if you want a dog that is challenging, hard hunting and can turn it's paw to anything then a GWP is for you. If you want a dog that will trot along beside you, saying hello to everybody and everything and generally being very amenable then a GWP isnt for you!
  8. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Off the top of my head, here are some breeders:
    Bareve
    Kimmax
    Trudvang (a fave kennel of mine)
    Inverwire
    Abbotsbourne
    Sashal
    Mikicin
    Clancraig
    Tynsil
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thanks for the replies leanne, going to have a nosy at some.. im not sure if i would own one or not, i like a lot of the gundogs, but i like alot of the ones that seem to be hard work :lol: just having a look at them in a bit more depth as i dont know a fat lot :lol:
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Met some very good workers in WT notably the late Terry Hadleys Sh Ch and WT Ch Benreeda Wolfgang at Jacinto CDex UDex WDex TDex PDex and WT Ch Braithwaite Hanky Panky CDex UDex WDex TDex owned by Anne Collen.

Met quite a few of Rory Major's too (Bryantscroft) although they have varied in drive.

They would be by second choice of HPR after a Weimaraner if was going to have another HPR
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Love Teal :049:

I have only really known Helen's - who were and are fab GWPs. I really fell in love with Teal.

The others I have come into contact with have been owned by gamekeepers up here as working dogs and unfortunately they have had quite a fearsome reputation - often with strangers and also with other dogs.

As someone already said, research the lines thoroughly.
  12. Caz718

Caz718 New Member

Name:
    Caz
    I have had them for 20 years for both working and showing and most of all pets. Helen has given you good advice and the right places to ask anything else you need to know just ask

Caz

was going to attatch pictures but cant work out how:?
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    you have to have an account like photobucket or flickr. put them on there, and then copy the image code.
  14. Caz718

Caz718 New Member

Name:
    Caz
    thanks

Caz
  15. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    <Waves to Caz> Helloooo!

Helen
  16. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Took a bit of digging but figured out who you are, I thought the name was familiar (but not as a username)!
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Fabulous looking breed, a friend had one, and due to its temperament was PTS at 12 mths of age:?

So you really need to be careful of the lines you go for.