Half choke collar Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by /Hayden, Aug 15, 2017.

1. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee

Half choke collar

Hi everyone,Ella has been doing very good at training/in the house with heal work but as soon as she is out she is a different dog(doesn't listen one bit to anything)was thinking of trying a half choke collar what do others use?? Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Once you move loose lead walking from inside to outside, you basically start again, but in the garden. Once that's achieved then it's onto the regular walks. I take it that Ella is a puppy? Just be consistent with her and it will 'click' in time
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and /Hayden like this.
    If you look closely at my photos, you will see that my dogs are usually wearing half check collars for breed showing and their normal daily exercise. I use flat leather collars to carry their ID tags, for obedience show classes, (for which they have to be off lead or on a loose lead anyway), and for any form of jumping, where loose hanging chain can pose a safety issue.
    For the same reason, never leave a half check on a dog which is not supervised, eg. loose in the back of a car, where it is possible that the collar could get caught up on fittings.
  5. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Yes she is 4.5 months,in the garden she is really good aswell.we have just started doing it on our driveway and she is very distracted by everything and will not listen..
  6. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Thank you,we will get one and try it.she does go to obedience training she was doing really well,but the last couple of weeks she slipped back and not listening or paying attention to me.(monkey)
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and /Hayden like this.
    I use are leather half checks, if you decide to get one make sure it’s a good make and correct size.
    I take them off when they are free running as the chain tends to dangle and in the past I had a dog catch his paw in it.
    I don’t use collars indoors but if you keep a collar on at home I would suggest getting a rolled one as they don't leave collar marks or break the coat.

As for not listening when you’re out, she is still young and it takes time as there are so many distractions, I start in the garden then once they understand the commands I find a quiet spot outside or along walking route and do short bursts of training gradually building up.
  8. /Hayden

/Hayden New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Thanks,we looked at pets at home and couldn't really find one so will look online.we don't keep collars on indoors.we have been doing it in the garden and she is really good so have just started doing it on our drive now.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    /Hayden likes this.
    Tweed (Lurcher-ish) had an adjustable 1/2" leather and brass half check. Though expensive, it lasted for the majority of her lifetime, and is actually still in use - now fully extended - on my friend's Bouvier.
    Try looking on Essenjay Leather Products website, first class quality and service, and they will also make to measure. Merry's show collar is one of their very dainty round leather half checks.
  10. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    Maybe try amazon? I get quite a lot of my doggy stuff from there. Although I do think you could achieve this without one and am struggling to see how it would help...
    Jane
    xx