Hancock Lurcher Discussions

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by Nippy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny

Hancock Lurcher

I had never heard of this bred/cross before and now it has cropped up twice in one week. (Didn't want hijack the thread Muddiwarx!)
    What can anyone tell me about them?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    They were/are bred by David Hancock. :)
  4. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Not to be confused with Colonel David Hancock [author etc]
  5. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    And?.........
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Collie cross greyhounds if memory serves
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
  8. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Someone once asked if my mums Beardie x was a Hancock's dog. She looked just like a greyhound when she was wet, but was hairy like a Beardie.
  9. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Hancock has his own types of stud dogs he uses, mainly crosses with collies both border and bearded, have a look on his website, he produces some stunning dogs.

However, you will also hear many negative things about Mr Hancock as he isnt much more than a puppy farm and doesnt take dogs back that he has bred, a good many end up in rescue. Also, I dont think the dogs he uses are proven so for somebody who was looking to work or lure race their lurcher, they wouldnt necessarily go there.
  10. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Not heard of them before but they look great :)

Another one to add to the not-so-common type of dogs list (like the Beaufort Terrier from Sally's thread the other day).
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The name is purely because of the dogs he uses. Beardies (working) and Merle collies. They are no better than any other crossbreed of this type. He breeds a LOT and I mean a LOT. I dont know anyone including people that have dogs from him who have had much praise for the way he keeps or breeds his dogs. I havent seen this for myself though.
  12. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Thanks everyone.
    A friend has just rescued a Whippet x Hancock Lurcher. A truley stunning dog.
    My worry is that I once had a Greyhound/Collie she was a nightmare (not a Hancock). As with all things, no two dogs are alike I guess.
  13. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Not had any hands on experience of these dogs but what has already been said pretty much sums them up. From what I have seen debated on other forums in the past I think they have mixed reviews.
  14. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I know if its a local thing but i see more lurcher types in my local rescue than any other types including staffs.
  15. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Thanks Ian.

Yes Murf there are a few around here too.
  16. Luke

Luke New Member

Attractive types and most often merles (hmm wonder why), know a few people with them...they're lovely but much like any other lurcher of this type, but...sadly, from a very questionable place indeed.
  17. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    He wrote a book called My Life With Lurchers. I read it because he used working Beardies but I don't think he does so much now
  18. floridley

floridley New Member

Name:
    Kathryn
    My boy is 1/2 Hancock lurcher. He was bred by a local couple from their Hancock male and lurcher female. He is the best boy ever. When I was looking for my next lurhcer I went to visit the Hancock place and decided buying one from there was definately not for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Thats interesting Floridley, thank you for you reply.
    I have a very soft spot for Lurchers I have owned 3 in the past.
    Is that your dog in the photos? He is lovely. What is he called?
  20. floridley

floridley New Member

Name:
    Kathryn
    Yes thats Stryder. He is a beardie/border/greyhound mix. Love him to pieces.
  21. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Lovely looking dog there Kathryn! Love the photo of him sitting on the chair - and how on earth did he get up those rocks :shock: :lol: