Hard time breathing after dental extractions Questions

Discussion in 'Pekingese' started by Pawprintsx4, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri

Hard time breathing after dental extractions

Hi. New to the forum. I have an 8 year old Pekingese. He had teeth extracted today. His breathing is very laboured. I think it could be because of the swelling in his mouth - maybe even into his sinuses. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If your Peke didn't have any breathing problems before the op., I think it might be an effect of the anaesthetic. It can take 24 hours, or even more, to wear off. There is bound to be some swelling too if the molars have been removed. However, don't be afraid to phone your vet if you are concerned - all vet. procedures should include standard aftercare.
  4. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri
    Thank you, Carole. His breathing seems to be much better now. Not 100% yet, but getting there. Now my issue is giving him his pain meds with food. He just won’t eat. Another hurdle!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Is he on a liquid painkiller like Metacam? That usually goes down OK. You could try popping a little of his favourite food in the liquidiser and put blobs of this onto the roof of his mouth. (I know it isn't easy with a short-nosed breed)
    I'm sure he will be 100% better by tomorrow.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is good that his breathing is better - slowly slowly. My then older than 8 year old had to have 10 teeth extracted but she was not a short-nosed girl so did not have breething problems. Sheri, can you get soft triangle cheeses to push the pain meds in? I found them worth their weight in gold feeding meds into my epi girl.
  7. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri
    I ended up putting the pill in his food and he ate it up once he was hungry enough. He wouldn’t take any cheese, pumpkin, yogurt - nothin’!
  8. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri
    This is his breathing ...

9. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri
    No, they gave me capsules. Why, I don’t know. I’ve been able to get two into him when he should have had 4 by now. I’m taking him back to the vet for his breathing and will get liquid meds.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, I would take him back too. Poor lad, it could be bruising from being tubed, but I don't like the way he is extending his neck to breathe in. How does he manage when he falls asleep?
    I would take this video with you when you see the vet.
  11. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri
    He’s fine when he’s asleep ... once he gets there. He doesn’t usually extend his neck like that (post op or normally, that is). I have an appt this evening and will show the video for sure. Will also ask for liquid pain meds.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How is he doing now? I do hope he is feeling - and breathing, much better now.

Incidentally, capsules are easy to open and the contents sprinkled on to his food.
  13. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri
    He’s doing much better! The second time I took him back to the vet, they did X-rays. His trachea was inflamed from the tube he had in his throat. They gave him an anti inflammatory shot and he was good to go after a couple days. He’s 95% back to his old self. Just a bit of persistent licking because of his stitches but they should all be gone within the next few days.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so pleased to hear how much better he is. I have always stayed with my girls while they were intubated and although my vet would not let me stay while they were spayed [meanie] I did during Lexi's dental surgeries. But she did not have stitches nor pain-killers. Neither did any of them have pain-killers after spaying.

Anyhow, your lad, being Brachycephalic could easily have had a sore throat from the intubation as it is not so easy with a dog like him. My girls could have not cared less, mind you they were half zonked out before Ram intubated them, and I have said it before and will say it again, he is a vet in a million.

Gentle cuddles for your little boy from me. xx
  15. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri
    Thank you! He’s doing so well now! We even took him to his first drive-in movie last night!
  16. Pawprintsx4

Pawprintsx4 New Member

Name:
    Sheri
    Mookie’s first drive-in movie!

Attached Files:

17. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Aw. So happy he is well again! Its so scary when our pets are ailing.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh I do hope he enjoyed it!

Sheri, intubation can cause sore throats even in humans [tell me about it] although I have been lucky after some boob ops, but having watched Ram intubate my girls - each one for spaying and Lexi twice for major dental surgery, that guy must be miraculous. None of them came home with pain killers and all wanted dindins once they were home.