Has anyone owned or trained a Canaan Dog? Discussions

Discussion in 'Canaan Dog' started by TabithaJ, Jun 12, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Has anyone owned or trained a Canaan Dog?

I think they are in the Utility group but if not apologies.

Has anyone here ever owned or trained or met a Canaan Dog? I've just been reading up about them and they certainly sound intriguing.

Just wondered if anyone here has any experience of them? I know there are not very many in the UK but just wondered if anyone on Dogsey has met one?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Yes! I've met three in total. One at a fun dog show in Portsmouth when Merlin was younger, about 4 years ago. They are said to be not good with other dogs but this one was, and she acted like a puppy herself so I was suprised when her owner said she was 7!

Then at a nearby country fair, I met someone with two Canaans, stopped briefly for a chat.

I also saw a Canaan at Bath championship show two weeks ago, but just from a distance.

PS: you might have gathered by now I am very interested in rare/unusual breeds and tend to collect sightings of them...lol. If there was one I would have a copy of The I-Spy Book of Rare Dogs.... :lol:
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Thanks MERLIN'S MUM! :mrgreen:
  5. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Maybe you should write the book??!! :mrgreen:
  6. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    yes you are correct they are in utility group.i've met several as a lady nr me breeds and shows them
  7. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Met them at discover dogs. I like them, I have to say. The lady on DD told me that they are ok with other dogs but won't stand any nonsense, but they are more likely to pin another dog than fight.