Heeler/Hound Mix Behaviour

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Abby Gonzaga, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Abby Gonzaga

Abby Gonzaga New Member

Name:
    Abby Gonzaga

Heeler/Hound Mix

I recently adopted a 10-month old Heeler/Hound mix a couple months ago. His name is Russell and he is very sweet, affectionate, learns fast, good with children but tries to herd them. I still monitor Russel with children even though he is good with them. However, I have seen some weird behavior from Russell too. I work at a cage-free doggy day-care part time and bring him with me. When the dogs are calm he does very well. But when the dogs get excited and rowdy it tends to get him riled up too. He will start chasing and barking at the dogs. It seems like he is trying to herd and correct the excited dogs. I sense that the extremely excited behavior can cause a fight so I intervene in a calm manner. I'm confused by Russell's behavior. Is there any way I can handle or understand this situation better? I don't have a lot of experience with Heelers so advice would be appreciated :). I am also thinking about hiring a dog trainer/ behaviorist to help me understand Russells behavior.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I have no experience with hounds but it sounds like your dog is getting over excited or anxious, not all dogs are happy in that type of environment, and sometimes it can do more harm than good,as with all things, you have to read the signs your dog is giving you.

You have only had him for a couple of months and it could all be overwhelming to him.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Would it be possible to divide the group at daycare, so you are able to have your puppy with a couple of older, steadier dogs? He is still a doggy teenager, and it sounds as if he is getting over stimulated running with the pack. It might help him to attend a training club and learn to develop some impulse control. I don't know where you are located, but the Kennel Club Good Citizen Scheme might suit you both. If you aren't in the UK, make sure that you pick a club which uses reward based methodology.