Hello everyone Questions

Discussion in 'Borzoi' started by J.J, Jan 20, 2015.

1. J.J

J.J New Member

Name:
    J.J
    Azz likes this.

Hello everyone

I am planning on purchasing a borzoi puppy and have done countless hours of research regarding this breed. This wont be my first hunting breed dog but will be my first sighthound. The breeder is very good and local with her female ranked number 4 in Canada which I will be meeting next weekend before putting down a puppy deposit.

Some help I would love to get is what I am not having the best luck online discovering or just want to confirm what I have found by others experiences.

Collars? is everyone using martingale colors for their borzoi or can you use regular collars with these. I have read due to their grey hound like head these slip off easily and so martingale is recommended. What is everyone else using?

Food? depending on what food the puppy is on when I get it at 12 weeks I may want to change to a different type. what is everyone using for theirs? are acana and origen varieties good? am I looking for specifics for this large breed dog?

Food dishes? are most people using dishes on the floor or elevated dishes?

and I am sure there are many more things I would like to hear. I hope people are willing to assist

J.J
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Hello :)
    My "little" guy is only 9 months old at the moment, so I'm hardly an expert, but I can try and help!

Personally, I don't feel comfortable walking any of my dogs on flat/standard collars. Borzois do have very skinny heads so can very easily slip a standard collar if they wanted too. I use martingales, semi slips or harnesses :)

Sam eats mainly Milles Wolfheart dry (an all life stages food) and Wainwrights wet food, with raw bits too. Orijen and Acana are both good brands - high meat content, few fillers etc
    I have recently upgraded him to a raised bowl too. He's nearly 30" tall and has been either splaying his legs like a giraffe to get lower, or lying down lol. He seems much more comfortable with the raised one, though was fine when he was smaller
  4. J.J

J.J New Member

Name:
    J.J
    Thank you so much for your reply!!

I have read so many things and with the martingales I had read the pressure from it can cause throat damage so I wanted to check people were using these before looking into getting a nice one.

I haven't heard of that food I will have to look into it. I did come across somewhere in my searches about people feeding adult food to their puppies as it doesn't have high levels of calcium ( along those lines) I am willing to buy the best food for it, just need to know what as its such a large breed I want to make sure its getting what it needs for its large growth spurts.

so you started with dishes on the floor and raised them as he grew, that's a great idea.
  5. J.J

J.J New Member

Name:
    J.J
    also is anyone successfully raising a borzoi with cats? I have been able to successfully train my last hound dog to ignore the cats and I am hopeful I can do the same here.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    J.J likes this.
    No but I have 6 JRT's & 3 cats that all get along x
  7. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    J.J likes this.
    I would probably use a hound collar (that is the plan when I own Saluki and Azawakh) and for food raw all the way for me :)
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    J.J likes this.
  9. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    CaroleC and J.J like this.
    As I understand it, the idea of martingales is that they tighten enough to secure the dog, so just a limited amount, unlike choke/slip collars that can tighten indefinitely. A well fitting martingale when tightened is going to put comparatively little pressure on the neck

Walking nicely :)
    [​IMG]

Obviously if any dog pulls, pressure is going to be put on the neck no matter the collar they are wearing (I personally think that any dog that pulls excessively should not be walked on a collar)

Obviously not a cat, but Sam does get along brilliantly with my smaller dogs. Ripley here weighs less than 8kg, while he is 35kg now!
    Introduced to cats as a pup, I can't see it being an issue.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    J.J likes this.
    A properly fitted and adjusted martingale or a semi-slip collar [semi-slip as against a full slip] should not, as Erin [Blue Jay] said, put much pressure on the neck.

My dog wears a harness and also a semi-slip collar but the collar is really just for her tags, although being properly fitted in that it is tight enough not to slip over her head and yet not that tight that is presses on her throat I can also clip her onto that if necessary.

But both her harness and her collar are fabric - padded - wide and very soft. But she is not a hound, just a very strong dog in a medium size dog body.
  11. J.J

J.J New Member

Name:
    J.J
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you everyone for your replies they are very helpful and put my mind at ease, especially in regards to the collar. I was looking at martingales at a pet store and the dog trainer there gave me the dirtiest look for looking at them and told me id be causing long term damage if I used it on a dog and told me to use a harness.Mind you it was with our duck toller puppy beside us but I felt I had done the research that informed me that was what was recommended specifically for my breed choice.

I love the collar on your borzoi so pretty looking against the white. and its good to see it playing with a small dog. I have read a lot on it and believe it should be fine with the cats but just wanted assurances as they are my babies.

Thank you AZZ I didn't see that link but I will check it out asap.

This is the proposed pairing my puppy will come from ( believe I got the male right, female is the local one.)

Local Female
    http://www.canuckdogs.com/index.php...d&DogKey=1139a069-7c4b-11e1-a6f2-7205c3c48c6f

proposed male
    http://www.canuckdogs.com/index.php...3&DogKey=5f1c2842-7779-102c-8ee1-dd6c8247de83
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You must be soooo excited. Those are lovely photo's. I hope all goes well for you.
  13. J.J

J.J New Member

Name:
    J.J
    CaroleC likes this.
    I hope so too:) I have quite literally exhausted the internet looking these dogs up and next weekend I go to meet the mother before fully committing to the puppy- but I am already so in love with it that its practically a done deal:D