Help! Dead laptop. Technology

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by CaroleC, Mar 20, 2017.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Help! Dead laptop.

I spend most of my online time on a tablet, but sometimes want to work with photos or use Word, for which I use my laptop, (still on Win7). Last night I came across a picture I wanted to save, so turned the laptop on, and noticed a small red button in the top right corner of the screen. I hovered over it, and it seemed to be a warning that Synch wasn't working - whatever that means. Five minutes later, the laptop lost power. Black screen, defunct, dead. An Ex Laptop.
    The surge plug is still working, and the mains lead is OK. The transformer unit still shows a green light, so it looks as if something has blown inside the laptop itself. I am pretty sure that our usual repairer will charge us £48 incl. to assess it, and will then offer to save the information to disc for another £120 - money which would go a long way to a new machine. Please does anyone have any idea what could have blown, and whether there is a simple fix? I just wish my photo saves had been up to date, some of them are one offs.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    CaroleC likes this.
    So basically you have got to shell out £168 to access your hard drive to save your photos...Sounds a bit expensive....shop around...My son used to fix all my computers, if they go wrong now I just have to buy new....Back up all your photos to memory stick in future.......Having said that I need to do the same...
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks Andrew. I phoned a different firm today and what a difference! This chap diagnosed the problem while we watched, - and though we had tested it, it was the power lead connection that was at fault. No charge, see how you go on, it will be just £20 if it does need to be replaced. We were so pleased we have ordered two, (one each), 1Tb Click Free external back up disks from him - they come tomorrow. They back up automatically, so we won't need to remember to do it in future. They may not be the identical model, but they were cheaper than the QVC ones too. Quite restored my faith in IT engineers.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    A good IT engineer is worth his weight in gold! I do not have a laptop [or a tablet or smart phone], just a PC with separate monitor, keyboard, speakers, web cam, USP, etc etc etc. And so many cables which I have no idea to where they are connected, I also have two external hard drives - one which does a back-up at 12 noon every day, and what is called a "pocket external hard drive" on which I do a manual back-up maybe twice a week.

And I have Effie. Effie who built all my computers and who can take over my computer to sort things out without even coming here. And who will bring over and connect a loan computer if he has to take mine away to sort out at his workshop. He builds them, he fixes them, although he did one time kill my hard drive when he had to replace the motherboard. And no, I have not the slightest idea what these things are but he has a copy of all my important stuff.

He supplies everything - connects everything - any problem he sorts it out.

Yes, so many separate things, all with their own cables, but at least each thing can be individually replaced if necessary. I think I would have killed a laptop probably twice a year

I did actually once ask Effie to please get me a laptop and after he had picked himself off the floor, having had hysterics, he said why on earth would I need, let alone want, a laptop?