Help ID our new friend General Chat

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by dmitchell, Jan 12, 2016.

1. dmitchell

dmitchell New Member

Name:
    Dave
    Azz likes this.

Help ID our new friend

Hello from Delaware. My GF and I adopted this little guy and were told he was a PWD. We were also told he was 10 months old.

We took him to the vet and they seem to think he is between 1-3 years old and very small, most likely mixed.

Can anyone tell by the photos what he may be mixed with?

He has the classic white patch of fur on his chest/ under his mouth. Webbed feet, and the tail looks identical to a PWD.

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

• Kona.JPG
      Kona.JPG
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Azz likes this.
    Spanish Water Dog? He looks very like a friends dogs :)
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I would have thought PWD or SWD too :)

Whatever he is, he's very cute :)
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    From the photograph I would agree with Azz and say PWD or SWD - and with your vet that he is just a rather small one.

As for age - whoever you rescued from said he was 10 months old - were they the breeders? - and yet your vet says between 1 - 3 years. With some dogs it can be difficult to be sure of age but I would go by your vet's reckoning. He could be a full breed who was the runt of the litter hence being small, and if you rescued him from a rescue organisation it is possible that they do not know his background.

But he is definitely a very cute pup, whether he is pure-bred or a cross, and whatever his age.

And does it really matter if he is a cross?
  6. dmitchell

dmitchell New Member

Name:
    Dave
    The family had apparently gotten him from a breeder when he was a puppy. I would have thought if he was a pure PWD they would have been asking alot of money for him. Regardless of what he is mixed with it wont change how we care for him. We just wanted to know what type of traits to expect for training purposes.

He weighed in at 17 lbs, someone else said their 10 month old PWD was close to 45 lbs. We thought about him possibly being the runt, he is also underfed, and the person who last groomed him did not do the best job.
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Floppyears likes this.
    I think you've mentioned before he does not have webbed feet, I think we already established on one of the PWD sites he's is not a portie, my guess he's a doodle of some type. He's lovely what ever he is !
  8. dmitchell

dmitchell New Member

Name:
    Dave
    Azz likes this.
    So he does have the webbed feet, and his tail looks similar to the PWD from what I can tell.

He is only about as tall as my knees and someone elsewhere said their PWD was around 45 lbs at 10 months. Perhaps he has some PWD, or is a cockapoo. Either way it wont make any difference to us, he is a great addition to our family.

Attached Files:

9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Please keep us updated - I'd be interested in seeing him when he's at 6 months, and a year etc :mrgreen:
  10. Floppyears

Floppyears New Member

Name:
    Karen
    :007:
    I think he looks like a poodle spaniel mix. Cutie