Help - Scottie dog going grey! Questions

Discussion in 'Scottish Terrier' started by Chena, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Chena

Chena New Member

Name:
    Lou

Help - Scottie dog going grey!

Being a Malamute owner I have no clue whatsoever about Scottish Terriers and would like advice from someone who knows
    I have a friend who has a 7 month old boy and she is concerned because he is going grey along his back. People think he is getting old when they see him.

Is this a normal colouring for a Scottie, is he just freak or is it a sign of something wrong? Any advice would be gratefully received
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Chena :) what colour is he meant to be and did he come from a good breeder ? If he was a black puppy but has some wheaten or brindle in him he won't be solid black, also at 7 months he may be 'blowing' his puppy coat and it will need stripping . I would suggest your friend contacts the breeder who will explain things.
  4. duboing

duboing New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Hi Chena,

scotties can be any coulour but white, but should be the same colour all over (not in patches). Sounds like this little fella could be starting to clear to brindle, which is gorgeous, and not all that common. The breeder will be able to say if there's any others in his blood lines with this colour variant.

If your friend doesn't like it, she can always send him to me - I loooooove scotties ;) :mrgreen:
  5. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    This may or may not have anything to do with Scottish Terriers being grey or black, but I was speaking to somebody with 2 black German Shepherds on one of our walks during the week. One is completely black all over, and other has brown and grey patches on his body.

Apparently, according to him, the parentage of 3 generations or more will ensure a black dog, however, if there are parentage of less than 3 generations, this could mean that he dogs may be mostly black, but have a bit of brown or grey in them. :?

I have no idea about this, but if somebody could confirm if the above is the case, then that would be great!
  6. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    I was always under the impression that Scotties were always black, and Westies always white! :? :lol:
  7. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    Meant to say last night, I think you are referring to Cairn terriers, as Scottish Terriers only come in black, very rarely, you apparently see a very dark brown one, although I have never seen a dark brown one!
  8. thandi

thandi New Member

Name:
    Debs

This is incorrect. Scottish terriers may be Black, wheaten or brindle of any shade
  9. Clipper

Clipper New Member

Name:
    Clipper
    Like Thandi says, Scotties come in a variety of shades. As a groomer, I see plenty of them in black, black brindle and dark brown brindle. I was once very lucky to see a wheaten one at Crufts .... must have been in the early 80s.
    I feel sure that given this wee fella's age and the warmer weather, he is simple moulting out his coat. The dead hair turns a silvery grey colour but careful stripping of the coat will return this chap to his former dark coat. So please tell your friend not to worry, he isn't aging prematurely. LOL
    Clipper
  10. crazycockers

crazycockers New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    I know my dogs are different breed, cocker spaniels, but my Poppy is blue roan and had lovely black ears until she reached 2 years of age, now they are grey and she looks like an old lady although she's only 4.
  11. Chena

Chena New Member

Name:
    Lou
    Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm sure she will be releived to know he is quite normal.

I have cut a photo out of this weeks Dog World for her showing the Terrier Group winner at Border Union Show last weekend...a Scottie with a distinguished looking grey tinge to his back!
  12. shellyb71

shellyb71 New Member

Name:
    michelle
    I too have a scottie who is 10 month old and he is going grey too but we were told it is dead hair and it will come out eventually
  13. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I know Black Poodles often go grey within 2 years....