hollys scores Health

Discussion in 'Leonberger' started by leo, Jan 17, 2007.

1. leo

leo

Name:
    marie

hollys scores

got them today from the vets.
    not so good, we wont be having pups.:-(
    her results are 15:13 and elbows 0.
    she is due a season now so after this 1 we will be getting her spayed.
    we could breed but they are too high for my liking and i couldn't forgive myself if i produced little 1s with hip problems all their lifes.
    dissappointed but shes still our moo.:smt002 :roll:
    only good thing is because she has had no problems upto now they think she might get a few issues later in life but with the results we know what and when to deal with it if it happens.
    1st and formost they are part of the family and that doesn't change hips scores inc.
    her dad was 11:6 and mum 6:6 so it seems she has got all the bad points from both parents, waiting for the paperwork to come through from the vets.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry to hear that you did not get the good news you wanted :(
  4. Tee

Tee New Member

Name:
    Tee lol
    Nevermind, at least you now know and have been able to make an informed decision. Do you know what the average hip score is for your breed?
  5. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    thanks caz its quite a shock to be honest, never shown any signs of poss high hip results in fact there isnt anything she cant do............ vet said it was just gentic and couldn't see any disease on the x rays which is good.
    28 is high for leos but it could be worse,shes an adult now but still only young so probably the best time for spaying.
    just the routine advice from the vets but see how she goes as she gets older. hopefully she wont get any issues for a long time yet and if she does i will do all i can for her.
    shes still moo and thats good enough for me just dissappointed but i will get over it.
    if nothing else i know i havent produced pups with problems or ignored health results for the sake of some cash like some do.
  6. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    yeah mean average for leos is 12
  7. shiba

shiba New Member

Name:
    kirstie
    I am sorry leo how disapointing for you. :-(
  8. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    yeah just not my week this week with 1 thing and another.
  9. Toby

Toby New Member

Name:
    Janet
    oh, i sorry you didn't get the news you had hoped for, you're right you are having a real bad week.
  10. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    I'm sorry you didn't get the results you needed, I was suprised your breed average is quite low, English Setters is 19.

Good for you not breeding if you're not happy about something, so many people breed from anything thats got a pulse just to make some money.

I'm sorry you're having a bad time, you've always been so kind to the rest of us that have got the blues. I think you need a big hug too. :)
  11. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    thanks but i think i need a bit more than a hug at the mo......... lifes c... at the mo i know it isnt just feels like it this week.
    i'll be ok and hols still hol whos happy and healthy so deep down thats all that counts we was planning to breed in time but with the results being what they are its not going to happen.
    as much as i am dissappointed i wont do it for the sake of the breed theres no point in getting the tests done if your not going to take the info into account.
  12. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Sorry to hear you've been disappointed Leo, on top of everything else as well. Sheree's right - you need a very large

HUG
  13. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    thanks vicki not used to needing support your making me blush.
  14. Amie

Amie New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    Its such a big shock and disappointment I know how you feel. Cookies come back at 25:? She is 7 1/2 now and never had a problem at all with her Hips so its not always such bad news:) The good thing is her Hips are pretty even;-)
  15. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    yeah i know but i never would have though she had high scores which is the shock, dont get me wrong i didn't expected perfect either more a average for leos.
    the vet said because she has never had problems during her growing up she doesnt think there will be problems only the usually stuff as they get older in any breed.
    yeah that is 1 thing not really different.
    i'll be ok just still sinking in shes still my girl and always will be.
  16. leospride

leospride New Member

Name:
    Dee
    Sorry its not the scores you were expecting Leo, but well done for making the right decision. We need more people like you that put the breeds health first :)
  17. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    I'm sorry the news is not as good as expected Leo :-(
    Still the news is not all bad if the scores are low enough to mean Holly won't have any problems in later life. :)
  18. pxxuk

pxxuk New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Aww, I'm sorry to hear that, I hope Holly carries on to live a happy and healthy life :)
  19. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    :shock:
    Firstly Leo I am really gutted for you,
    but also very proud If you know what I mean, you have came on to the www and told everyone, also your decision not to breed from her is honerable many would have brushed it under the carpet and tried to get a stud dog with low scores to justify breeding, you should be applauded,

[​IMG]
    second can I ask what age she is??

third, huge hugs

I thought a BMA of 12 was quite low as well for leo's :shock: not that I know squat about them but I would have thought it would be higher than that, many other breeds are well higher, and they are quite large dogs, the rotts have a BMA of 12 to,

[​IMG]
  20. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Sorry to hear you didn't get the scores you were hoping for I can imagine how dissappointed you are. I agree though that you should be applauded for making such a sensible dicision regarding breeding from her.
  21. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    thanks everyone.
    holly was 2 in november so only young still, i will do all i can to keep her happy and healthy if she does get problems later in life.
    just 1 more season then i'm booking her in its just the way things have turned out.
    dougie i dont believe in ppl breeding from dogs knowing it could create problems for the pups, you should always breed to improve not destroy it.
    12 is low but there is a reason it is as low because ppl dont breed from high scored dogs.