Home alone Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by naynay, Nov 13, 2012.

1. naynay

naynay New Member

Name:
    nay

Home alone

I have a rescue greyhound and have had her for just over a year. However my circumstances have recently changed and i am now on my own with her. i am due to go back to work soon and work full time. i have a dilemma- will she be ok with just a dog walker to come in and take her out once in the day and the rest of the time will she be ok on her own? or should i try and rehome her to someone who is at home most of the day? which ever i think of i feel guilty that its not the right thing to do.. and so i dont know what to do. help please!!! :?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hello Nay :) how old is your dog.

While leaving a dog alone all day is not an ideal situation and something I have never had to do I appreciate for a number of reasons some people have little choice.

Looking at things logically, there are so many unwanted Greys in rescues, a comfortable home alone in the day and a loving owner for the rest of the time is surely preferable to a rescue kennel .

There are things you can do to make the situation easier for your dog like a good walk before you leave, an old jumper which smells of you in the dog bed, a well filled kong and a radio left on :)
  4. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Agree with Mini - there are so many dogs in rescue and so few good homes, that, even if your home isn't ideal but you love the dog dearly and will spend a lot of time her when you get home that could well tip the balance in your favour.

Maybe see how you go for a bit before deciding? Keeping her occupied by leave games such as Kongs or food balls could be a big help.
  5. coventrycatfish

coventrycatfish New Member

Name:
    Bek
    If she's anything like my Greyhound, she will be fine. His second favourite pastime is sleeping (first one is eating) and I have to crowbar him out of his bed for walks. Lazy creature. :)
  6. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I've always thought greyhounds (once they get past the puppy stage, they are actually insane) are probably best equipped for full time workers, they'd quite happily sleep through! Obviously a walker would be ideal if possible, or even a friend who you'd trust with a key to come in and let her go to the loo, check she has water and maybe just sit and watch some tv with her for a bit?
  7. naynay

naynay New Member

Name:
    nay
    maybe i will try with a dog walker first and see how it goes. Because I have been off work following an operstion, Molly has been spoiled by having me around so much. I am going out and leaving her for longer periods each day, although my daughter is here at present. It would be heartbreaking to have to rehome her but i just want whats best for her. she does like to sleep a lot funny really ! anyway will see how it goes. thanks for all the replies people I really appreciate the advice given
  8. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    It really does depend on the individual nature of the dog. The only thing you can really do is try it and see.

The important thing is spending quality time with the dog when you are there. It's not easy as after a full day at work you are often tired out and want nothing more than to curl up in front of the telly, but you have to remember that that's what your dog has been doing all day (minus the telly :) ) so she will want all the things that brighten her life - walk, play, training and lots of snuggles.

It can and often does work out very well provided all your dog's needs are met when you are there
  9. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    For normal dogs... but we're talking about a greyhound here! 90% of the day sleeping, 5% of the day eating and the other 5% of the day thinking about eating or sleeping!

Curled up on a sofa all day is most grey's idea of heaven.
  10. Polarbear2008

Polarbear2008 New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    I have to leave my Bailiie alone all day but I rush home straight from work, we have the best hello and quick outside for business then on with the lead and out for nice big walkies. :007:
    We do training and fun things too and I'd like to think she is very happy with that. :lol:
    At a weekend she always looks zonked as she isn't sleeping all day!:shock:

[​IMG]
  11. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    We have two greyhounds and work full time, the world works full time (well most of it), I don't get this idea that you have to be at home most of the day to have a dog.
    Our Greys are fine at home during the day, completely fine.
    They sleep most of the day anyway, when i'm off work they are like 'What you doing disturbing my sleep?' .

Far better in your home that in a rescue kennel.