Hot ears - should I be concerned? Health

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by katygeorge, May 19, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy

Hot ears - should I be concerned?

Phoebes ears are really hot. The rest of feels ok and shes not panting but her ears are boiling. Ive taped them open to the top of her head to hopefully help cool them down. I have no idea why there so hot.

Any ideas? Or is this just another of Phoebes weird quirks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Meg likes this.
    Have you taken her temp Katy? I would do that just to make sure she's not got a temperature, although I am guessing she is fine and it's because of all this hot weather.

I would also check for ear-mites.
  4. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Hi Katy
    Hi Katy :) I would leave them untaped to allow movement of the ears and the air to circulate.

In addition to the things already mentioned hot ears can be a sign of a dog in stress.
    Maybe put Phoebe somewhere cool and quiet with a good supply of water and see how they are later.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As Meg said, please do not tape Phoebe's ears. Tape itself can cause irritation and/or allergic reactions.

I do not know enough whether hot ears are a problem for dogs but Pereg's ears frequently feel very hot. I just do not worry about them as they do not seem to bother her.
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    the tape was only on for 20 mins as it didnt seam to make slightest bit of difference. I made her a little cool pack with some frozen sweetcorn wrapped in a facecloth and she looked happy when i placed it against her ear. They seam to have cooled down a bit now so im guessing it was just the weather. She was also quite happy that i let her eat the sweetcorn from her cool pack once her ears were cool. I know she wont digest it but she enjoys it and it was still half frozen so properly helped cool her down
  7. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Hi ya Katy. I would agree with Azz. Check there is no redness inside.
    Rhodi's ears started to feel warm, and then they were quite inflamed.
    There was also a dark dirty biuld up inside. I did go to the vets, although I hate doing it, because they recommend Antibiotics etc. They cleared up fairly quickly. Although since then, i met somebody who had a Staffie with the same problem. He was given Thornit powder. You just put it on the tip of the ear. It worked for the Staffie, in the following day. It also improved some other irritations he had with his skin. He looks so much better, and happier. I've just ordered mine, JUST IN CASE!.
    Only around £8., and it lasts for years.
    Good luck.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    All my 6 JRT's ears get hot during the heat of the day, I think its because dogs don't sweat that their ears get hot, I could be wrong but as long as Phoebe is ok within herself I wouldn't worry to much.
  9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    No dirt or redness. Been dealing with constant ear infections with phoebe for years. Shes fine they were just really hot and hadnt noticed it before.

Thankyou everybody for your comments
  10. Moyra

Moyra New Member

Name:
    Moyra
    When Amber's ears are hot and she sometimes shakes her head then I put in a few drops of Otodex ear drops into her ears and this seems to help. These drops clear wax and also any mites too. Can be used on cats as well as dogs.
  11. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    jeagibear likes this.
    Carefull with that stuff. I used it on Phoebe about a year ago and she went for a snooze on sofa then i had a huge patch of leather paler that the rest where her head had been. Read the instructions right to bottom of page 2 where it mentions that it will damage fabric and leather
  12. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Hi ya Katy. Don't worry, i did read it. Anyway a faded bit of fabric is nothing compared to Rhodi's healthy ears.!!
    Ps: I always have a sheet over the sofa anyway, and you only have to put a tiny tiny amount on. The main thing is...It works.xx
  13. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    jeagibear likes this.
    Glad it worked for you. Phoebes problem is yeast so thornit was no good, but glad i tried it just incase. Wish i had read it all the way i only read how to use it for ears then put it away as didnt need all the other methods, only later did i find the safety instructions hiding at bottom of page 2
  14. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Ha ha, we've all done something like that.
    Ps: Isn't Apple Cider Vinegar good for Yeast problems?
  15. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    jeagibear likes this.
    I haven't had to use it yet, but I keep Thornit powder in stock, just in case. I know a lot of Poodle people swear by it.
  16. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Hi ya Janet.
    I was told about it by a man with a Staffie, just a few weeks ago.
    He used it on the Dogs ears, just a very small amount on the tips, very gently massaged in. The result was an improvement within 2 days. He kept on using it, and the Staffies' other skin problems started improving too! Whatever problem the Staff had, must have been ideally suited to Thornit, to have an effect like that!
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    jeagibear likes this.
    THORNIT.........everyone should have this in their medicine box....it cheap and effective, and will help with most ear irritations.

You can also use it between toes, as this us another place for mites to fester.