How healthy/unhealthy are boxers? Health

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by kammi_sparky123, May 4, 2012.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

How healthy/unhealthy are boxers?

.... I know I know "I'm not getting a boxer"... but I have to ask :lol:

I want/love boxers, out of all breeds there is something about them I just adoooooooooore, but I decided I wasn't going to get one due to their health issues as they do seem to have a lot of them.

But...

In case it isn't that bad and I am being daft, I want to know how healthy they are/can be, and common ailments?

(If there is a chance I should get a boxer, I will do, no doubt about it :lol: )
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Have a look here it will give you an idea of some of the ailments they can suffer with, but don`t panic its not that bad.

www.ukboxerdogs.co.uk/iandi.html

The biggest issue with out breed is heart problems, but if you do your research properly and buy from breeders who health test, then you should be OK, hip scoring is like finding hens teeth in the breed, you will be hard pressed to find a breeder who scores their dogs.. but if you want a Boxer its something you will have to accept.

They suffer from all the same problems any dog does, they can get cancer , ear , eye . and you have to watch for bloat.

They are usually not a long lived breed, there are exceptions, but most of us accept not many get into double figures, some do but many don`t, again if you want the breed you just have to forget the negatives , because the benefits outweigh them tenfold.

If you really want one, go for it, do your research look for lines that are free from JKD , CARDIOMYOPATHY , and have been heart scored for AS.
  4. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Thanks!
    I think what it is, is that I look into other breeds (for example labrador), and think like "yeah it will be good, will look into them more and work out if they are right for me" etc...

It's the same with nearly all breeds, except Boxers.

With Boxers, I just get really excited :shock: and makes me really happy knowing I may own one as my next dog :lol:
    And instead of "okay I need to look into a few things", it's more "I NEED TO RESEARCH EVERYTHING NOWWWW" :lol:

GSD's are second for me, but the boxer does win.

But I will say "I am not getting a boxer" then I see them, even just pics (or in this case, Pam's threads :roll: :lol:), and I just think that I NEED one of these dogs.

Don't even know what it is, I just totally love them.

So that in itself is making me think that I shouldn't be put off easily. Hence now asking about all this.

See how I mean? :D
  5. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    How come hip scoring isn't a common thing?
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Because the powers they be, have decided its not enough of a problem in the breed to warrant scoring hips..:?

Its one of those things that have never been done , so no need to do it now.

You may find the odd breeder will score, and most that are are imports....

Its up to you to decide if that`s going to be a problem for you,

For me, its how it is, and all the good outweighs that one point, ;-)
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Oz has HD ...
    Snoop does not ...
    I would love to see how their other litter mates got on...
  8. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Thanks.
    Well as long as I know what i am looking for in the breeder in relation to health tests then its fine!

The more i have thought about it, deep down i know i do want a boxer tbh!

Sorry its a short reply, im on my phone lol.

Murf, is oz's hd bad? Which breeder were they from?
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Millie does not have it, but Bandit did, he reached the age of 11 without to much trouble, never sure if environment contributed to his though , he was such a idiot as a youngster.

They both suffer (suffered) from spondylosis , Bandit worse than Millie, but coped well with it in both cases.
  10. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    As you say jackbox, the good outweighs the bad anyway :)

Will you help me find a good breeder at the time when i am ready?

Apparently boxers are addictive, is this true? :p

In all honesty, as some of you may have noticed lol, i love boxers, to me they are the ultimate dream dog! So if i can accomodate one, i would be silly not to! As like you say, the good outweighs the bad :)
  11. purplepiglet

purplepiglet New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Azz likes this.
    I think Boxers should carry a health warning because they are definitely addictive. I was hooked since we had one when I lived with my parents. Now on my third one and each one has been very different in character but all of them have been very fun loving and playful. Many people can't cope with them because they need lots to occupy them and to burn off their energy.
  12. Krissy52

Krissy52 New Member

Name:
    Kris
    I lost my Boxer Abbey at 27 months old from T Cell Lymphoma last April 26th. I was and still am devastated. She was my first and will be my last as I could never go through that again!!! I have a almost 16 year old very healthy Bichon Frise, but she will be my last purebred dog. If and that's a big if, I get another dog, it will be a pound puppy.
  13. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I know a lady who only has had this breed. None healthy. One died at 5 from I believe kidney failure. Another around the same age dealing with cancer.. And she recently got a new puppy... No issues yet but they're probably coming. I've seen tons with HD as well but it seems the least of their problems.
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I`m surprised you have seen so many unhealthy ones to be honest, as the US is streets ahead in health testing for this breed, but them it will all depend on where people buy from , byb pf , or a reputable breeder,

This thread is over 5 years old, and health has improved a lot since then, more breeders are hip scoring and DNA testing for inherent issues, but I guess its the same everywhere, if you don`t do research and buy from good breeders you can be buying problems
  15. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    The breed is hideously popular here. Quite high on the most popular breeds list. This may be why the health testing is more common or whatever here. It may also be why people still see unhealthy ones. Like I said, from what I have seen, HD isn't a huge issue. It's mainly cancer at early ages.
  16. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Heart problems and allergies!
  17. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    And those... Enlarged hearts etc.
  18. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    They can be addictive. I've had 2, but the health problems. I will never have another. Their temperament and personality are great.