How many of you work your terrier? Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by x-clo-x, Dec 5, 2011.

1. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Lakeland terriers orginal function was to run with the fox hounds and if a fox went to ground they would go down after the fox. This is obviously now illegal.

I used to groom a Welsh terrier that went out beating and to the others surprise she was very good. She would get in places that the others would not, apparently.

Edited to add yes an Irish is too big to go to ground, they were mainly general pest control.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yep I have a locator collar too, they are essential if you work your Terriers to ground.
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i found them amazing :lol:
  5. MarchHound

MarchHound New Member

Name:
    Jeanna
    What type of locator collar? Am interested :)
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Used to have a Deben, but a few years ago bought a Bellman and Flint second hand.
  7. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    see i dont even know their names :blush: :lol: they just beep and beep quicker when you are nearer the dog :lol: hey ho i will learn eventually...
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thats ALL you need to know, where your dog is! :mrgreen:
  9. roo roo

roo roo New Member

Name:
    kris
    I do a bit of ratting with the plummers. Everyone I know who owns them works them. They're a bit manic if they aren't worked. A lot of the working terrier lads who own them also do earth work with them
  10. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Yes Irish are too big to go down holes, They were bred as the all purpose farm dog, ratting, retrieving, flushing, herding, guarding, etc. They're fearless, and not for the faint of heart.
  11. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Our 2 borders are mainly pets but we do use them for rabbiting and the odd bit of ratting. We take them out through the rush beds to flush rabbits for Corrie (beddiexwhippe).

They have never gone to ground though, and can't see us working them like that tbh.

Helen
  12. amymcc

amymcc New Member

Name:
    Amy
    we have two patterdales we hunt coons with. love them almost more then a hound but u cant get better then the sound of an old bluetick male on a tree at one in the morning. we have three pups born fathers day that need homes two brown males one black female. the father is really coon crazy got to see his first coon at 2 months old he went crazy on it.