How much does your greyhound drink and wee?!! Health

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by zoe1969, Apr 13, 2012.

1. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe

How much does your greyhound drink and wee?!!

My greyhound Guinness drinks quite a bit although not all the time. When he wees, he wees quite large wees. Now he is a big boy and I'm guessing it's down to that as it's not excessive. I'm just a bit paranoid about him as my dear Holly (RIP) died of kidney failure aged just 5 and she drank a lot and did massive wees!
    I'm pretty sure he's ok as he eats really well and looks as fit as a fiddle. In fact he's nothing like Holly was. Her appetite was awful and she was losing weight etc.
    I have put a urine test stick in his wee and it's got a very small amount of protein in it which is apparently normal. Everything else was ok.
    I'm pretty sure it's just me being paranoid but he's approaching 5 now and I couldn't bear to see him go through what she went through. I miss her so much I'm terrified of losing him:cry:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bella2012

Bella2012 New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Don't know if it helps but I used to have a lurcher and she drank loads and loads, I always put it down to her always being so hyper. She never had any kidney probs, poor thing passed away with a perforated ulcer in the end- nothing to do with her drinking lots.

My Golden retreiver that I have now also drinks for England but again she is a big dog and always on the go at the moment as still young.

Just a thought is he on dry biscuits for food?
  4. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    You could always have a blood test just to be sure. It could be nothing but you'll only worry until you know for sure.

Good luck!
  5. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Yes he is on kibble. I put water with it so he can swallow it ok and meat too.
    Thankyou for your answers guys. I'm almost certain he's fine. He's lively and bright.
    I posted this on a sighthound forum too and everyone's hounds seem to be the same. I guess I was unlucky as my first grey was Holly so I don't know what is normal!:blush:
  6. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    My two don't drink much at all, in fact some days I am sure Lily doesn't go near the water bowl.
    I do soak their food well though for at least an hour before feeding to try and stop them getting bloat.
    They just do normal size wee's and are not dehydrated.
    If you are concerned then I would pop a urine sample in to your vets and maybe ask them about having some bloods done, just to be on the safe side and put your mind at rest.
  7. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    My little 4kg min pin drinks more than my 10kg Cavvie did.

Most of her food is dry.
  8. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Paddy hardly ever drinks, he sometimes indulges in a lick of a puddle but that's about it. Pippa drinks more but still not a massively large amount really.
    Like anything though, each dog is different some will drink more than others and some will drink less than others. I wouldn't worry to much.
  9. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Axel's like a camel. He won't drink for ages and then drinks a tonne! He also is on kibble, but has water put in just before eating. He also does big wees from time to time, when he's not marking on a walk. I'm amazed at how much his bladder can hold!