How to train an Alpha Dog male Bichon Frise Questions

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by Partsman41953, May 15, 2015.

1. Partsman41953

Partsman41953 New Member

Name:
    Glenn

How to train an Alpha Dog male Bichon Frise

Hi all,
    I am new here but not new to owning dogs. I have had dogs almost all my life but this is the first time that I have had a dog that has literally got me to the point where I just cannot train him. Toby is a 3 year old male Bichon Frise who has a mind of his own and basically does what he wants when he wants to do it or he will bark until he gets to the point where he will throw up. We have been told he is an alpha dog. He is not neutered for the reason my wife and I wanted to have puppies with our 1 year old female Bichon Frise but at this point in time we do not want any more "little Toby's". We also have a 12-year old female cockapoo who is spayed.

Our problem is that Toby will not leave Abby, our 1 year old, alone. When they play they are the best of dogs but most of the time there is only one thing on Toby's mind and he will not leave Abby alone. When to talk to him and tell him NO he just ignores you. I have even gotten to the point of putting a bark collar on him but that does not even phase him. I also went out and purchased a shock collar but I really hate to use it but like I said I am at my wits end with him.

It has even gotten to the point where I have to take him in to the groomer by himself as he will not leave Abby alone even at the groomers.

How do I go about training him. It seems that even when I separate him from the other dogs he just wants to do what he pleases, especially marking all over our house.

My wife and I are in desperate need of help.

Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Try the non full neutering method, it seems there's a drug that as same effects as being neutered, ask your vet about it they might be able to help you with more info about the drug
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and LMost like this.
    When I first started out in dogs the ‘Pack Leader/Alpha theory didn’t exist (thank goodness) so ive never been a believer in it, when a dog misbehaves it does not mean it’s motivated by a desire to have high rank. It’s much easier to say that a dog is ‘dominant or alpha’ than to take the time to figure out the dog’s individuality and its relationship with those around it.
    Sounds like he’s been used to getting his own way, ones dog has to respect you first and foremost which Toby Obviously doesn’t, he must also learn that NO means NO! When he misbehaves tell him No once only’ you can either put him in sit/down position till he calms down or redirect him and play with a toy or send him to bed, reward with a tit-bit and praise when he stops his bad behaviour but you must be consistent.

or remove him completely from the room again don’t talk or interact with him after a few minutes when he is quiet let him re enter (no talk of fuss) if he makes a bee line for her then remove him once more and do it as many times as it takes for him to associate that if he leaves her alone he can stay in the room.

Before you consider breeding it’s to be hoped that you will have all the relevant health checks done on both dogs.
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    CaroleC likes this.
    He seems to have learned that bark enough and whoever gives up and he gets what he wants. I'd advise NILF training and some ear plugs.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 and LMost like this.
    I also do not give much credence to the Alpha dog theory, and I would recommend that you have some training advice from a modern, positive reinforcement, dog trainer or behaviourist.
    I'm sorry to have to say this, as you undoubtedly do love your naughty boy, but personally, I would not want to perpetuate a toydog bloodline with marked behaviour problems. These breeds only rarely go to type of person who is able detect and correct behaviour traits at an early enough stage. Could you cope with having to advise your puppy buyers on how to deal with similar problems?
    If you wanted to breed from Abby in due course, I would advise you to contact a respected breeder/stud owner who carries out the health tests which are recommended for your breed, and take his/her advice. I think 6JRT's advice of trying chemical castration on your boy is valid, and will at the least, give Abby some peace. You may discover that you love him even more with the edge taken off his masculinity!
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Not all humping behaviour is sexual and nor is it cured by castration. Marking isn't cured by castration either. What cures these behaviours is training and vigilance so that he can't practice them. Obviously all traces of odour need to be removed otherwise he will continue to mark. Also once ingrained it isn't always possible to eradicate such behaviours. If you think having him castrated will be a magic solution you're probably not going to be very happy when it's not. Also just because you have entire dogs doesn't mean you have to breed them. I have entire Pugs and have absolutely no intentions of breeding them at all, mine have no behaviour problems and are fine examples of their breed, it's not a good enough reason to procreate though.