Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla Discussions

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    I dog sat for a Slovakian recently, my friend owns him. The dogs is lovely, a real friendly clown of a dog.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. toothfairy

toothfairy New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Hi David...you are just the man I need to ask!
    you own the two breeds that I am very torn between.If I could I would have both but this is not possible at the moment.Can you tell me what differences you find in the temperement of your two beauties..and what happens if you have to leave them on their own..do they eat your house!!?
  4. davidmh

davidmh New Member

Name:
    David
    Well there is difficult question.

Both breeds are renowned for the same wonderful qualities - they are loyal, affectionate, keen to please and trainable.

Comparing my two. In simplicity Sarika, the HWV, is more obviously needy of human contact, the reception I get from her when I have been out is the stuff of legend. However it is Purdey, the SRHP, who follows me around during the day to see what I am up to. Purdey is a crowd pleaser, if she does something that causes amusement then she does it again, clearly responding to the reaction she has gained.

Remember I can only base this on my sample of two but I have often said that Sarika really is a concert pianist currently occupying the body of a dog (somewhat eccentric) whereas Purdey really is a dog but one who would like to be a clown.

Neither has ever been left alone. When we got Sarika she had company in the form of our old bichon. Purdey moved into that little pack. Purdey used to chew rugs etc but she grew out of it quite quickly. Despite being active dogs when out, neither is terribly high maintenance, they both enjoy slumming on the sofa watching tv of an evening and Sarika is dozing beside me as I type, Purdey is doing similar by my feet.

I envy you your choice, whichever way you go you, get the training basics right and you will end up with a wonderful companion.

Good luck.
    David
    :grin:
  5. toothfairy

toothfairy New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Hi David

thanks so much for the insights!...hasn't made choosing that much easier because they are both delightful.I will let you know which one we get.Love this sight,Everyone is SO friendly.Can't wait to become a member of the wonderful world of dog owners and will be putting the pics up...eventually!!
  6. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Get one of each, problem solved!
  7. leopoldo

leopoldo New Member

Name:
    Lee
    Hi, new here. I got a HWV on Sunday, called Gracie. She's wonderful, eager to learn, clean, and clearly sharp and loving. I've been interested in owning a dog for years, and this breed in particular, but only now are the circumstances right. She's so good - we've just had a thunderstorm and all she did was lift her head in crate and yawn. She settled in as though she's always lived here - scoffs her food, has clearly bonded with us, and the vet said she was calm and confident.

But she finds night-times tricky. I'm trying to persist in her sleeping downstairs (after a sleepless night with her by our bed), crate door open, with a secure toilet area in a run of 4 ft by 9ft. She's howled so much she's losing her voice. I think she might be getting better, as it seems quieter now, with longer gaps between the howling - I guess I should persevere...

I can heartily recommend the breed though. At the moment, Gracie has no wire (too young at nearly 8 weeks) but she does have guide hair around her ears, back, chest and withers. I'm in love... You should see her little pink tummy...
  8. Holly-Rosee

Holly-Rosee New Member

Name:
    Holly and Ros
    hi i'vehad weimaraners for many years and have got used to a bit of howling for the first couple of nights but last year i thought i'd have a bit of a change and got a slovakian rough haired pointer , i didnt know a puppy could howl so loud for so long and this went on for about four or five nights as said she would howl till she lost her voice but do persevere as she did stop and we finally got some sleep,and now she she get grumpy if we stay up to late for her ladyship so best of luck with your new baby and hope you get some sleep soon ros and co
  9. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Funny you should say that - my friends were just saying last night that their SRHP would not settle even with the crate in the room with them and really wanted physical contact. After a week they gave up and had him on their bed, they were worried the neighbours would complain, but when they talked to the neighbours they had been away all week so they could have persevered after all! He now sleeps next to their bed all the time and gets on it at 6 am....not great as he is 13 months old now and huge!
  10. Holly-Rosee

Holly-Rosee New Member

Name:
    Holly and Ros
    hi how is maggies brother Rannoch hope he's as fit and well as mags, you can forgive them anything when they look at you with there comical faces i just love their eyes. has rannoch had any trouble with his teeth maggie hasn't but a few slovaks have. Love Ros Maggie and Diva x x
  11. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    He fine and dandy and him and Tonks are bestest friends! After training classes every wednesday they play while we pack up the hall etc. They charge up and down the hall together and by the end of it Rannoch's ears are soaking wet as Tonks loves to chew on them.

Don't think he has any teeth trouble, in fact i don't think he has had any illness at all. He's a very happy boy.
  12. Holly-Rosee

Holly-Rosee New Member

Name:
    Holly and Ros
    very glad to hear that it looks as if we've been lucky,maggie sends a big sloopy kiss to tonks xxxros
  13. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin

Hehe - thank you - will pass some of those kisses on to Rannoch as well. :lol:
  14. leopoldo

leopoldo New Member

Name:
    Lee
    I'm pleased to introduce you to Gracie:

[​IMG]
  15. petebren

petebren New Member

absolutely adorable:)
  16. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    :shock: I want Gracie... :shock:
    I literally took a sharp breath! She's stunning
  17. davidmh

davidmh New Member

Name:
    David
    Guess who loves HWVs.

[​IMG]

Our nine week old newbie Eszti and Sarika, her adoptive "mum".

What fun.

:lol:
  18. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Congratulations! She is goooorgeous, as is Sarika:049: :049: Where did you get her from?:grin:
  19. davidmh

davidmh New Member

Name:
    David
    Thank you.

Eszti came from Starshot. There is some synergy in that although Sarika was bred by another breeder, who now lives in Australia, her "mum" was also a Starshot dog, although they are not related.

As I said, Sarika has taken on the role of "mum" whereas Purdey, our SRHP, has taken on the role of puppy entertainment manager. I am still trying to get a picture of them in action.

The fun continues.

:grin:
  20. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Aw, I guessed there must be an element of the same breeding in them, they are very similar and equally pretty :) I am sooo broody for my HWV puppy now, agh!

ETA- Can't wait to see more pictures ;)
  21. davidmh

davidmh New Member

Name:
    David
    Any idea on your timing yet?
    :)