Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla Discussions

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Good breeders will sell the soft coated ones as not to be bred from & also not remove the endorsements re progeny ever
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    There not (as far as I know) the coat type can be as wide as Oscars to davidmh dogs , and from my understanding all can be shown, but it will be down to preference from judge to judge what they like.

Speaking o some breeders at a show a while ago, coat type is something that is very much under discussion among breeders.

Many owners of the fuller coat, will strip them to a more acceptable level.

And I also understand its hard to tell what type a mating will produce.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    From what I understand any breeding can produce such heavy coat, but many will strip said coat, and I don't think the fuller coat is a disqualification from the ring .. have seen a few heavy coated in the ring, along with some that look like smooth.
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The same problem arises with GWP etc, just as not all dogs will be perfect in conformation, not all will be perfect in coat
  7. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    He's a stunner Emma! Have you got any vids of him?
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Thats very true, my guess is that davidmh does not bother to hand strip his dogs, but if you stand around the wire haired ring at any show, you will see a variety of coat types .
  9. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    As lovely as the scruffy ones look it's important to remember that the whole point of creating the HWV to produce a HV type dog that could withstand harsh weather. Those dogs with the lighter and therefore often softer coats (soft coated donkeys as some people call them! :lol:) will not keep out the weather which will render them useless when out working in harsh winter weather.

It's really important not to focus on looks, but to remember the breed standard and the dogs original function otherwise you can very quickly change a breed to the point where it is no longer recognised as a member of it's breed.

Thank you, I think he's stunning. :mrgreen: The only thing I would change if (ok, when) I get my next one is a slightly longer beard. I do find beards rather attractive! :lol:

His coat has come on leaps and bounds over the last year and I think it's pretty much fully developed now. I've started to strip it from time to time which seems to help it stay harsh and healthy. Gonegos are very popular in the working world as they tend to be very good workers with good wire coats on them.
    In the eyes of many of the original founders in the UK and of those who have a working interest in the breed (Gonegos and Lanspar to name two) yes this is the "correct" coat. Sadly quite a few people have begun to breed light/soft coated dogs and as these are seen more in the show ring judges are assuming the light coats are correct. And the more something wins the more likely people will want to breed it so they can win too! :lol: Hopefully this will diminish now as the HWV Association have requested a change to the breed standard to make light coloured coats a fault.

I do agree with this, soft coated dogs should be selectively bred really to prevent it becoming the norm. That said you can produce dogs with the correct coat from soft coated dogs, so it's important not to rule them out completely and narrow the gene pool in a breed which has only recently been taken off the rare breed list.

I will have somewhere, but they're mostly just of him dancing about with toys etc. Nothing sensible! :lol:

I'll see if I can get some of him out training at some point.
  10. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    How do you strip his coat? Quite fancy a go at Sika's if I am able!
  11. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    I just pull! :lol:

No seriously, I just brush his coat against the grain and then pluck the long straggly bits out until it lies neat and flat. Doesn't take long with Oscar and I do find it quite relaxing. :lol:
  12. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
  13. davidmh

davidmh New Member

Name:
    David
    Oh yes he does, me and my trusty Oster are in regular action.

Lighter coloured, my two have completely different coats. Sarika's is quite thin and soft and sheds very little. No amount of stripping over the last five years has changed the coat's nature.

Eszti has wirier, longer, thicker and curlier hair - in fact it is why we chose her - from memory, at six weeks she was one of three (at that time) with such coats from a litter of ten. Her coat sheds more than Sarika's - not surprisingly considering she has more of it.

Based on my observation of two litters, breeding can indeed often produce all sorts in one litter. Sarika's sire was a multi champion dog - his natural coat was apparently more like Eszti's.

And if you want to see shedding get a Slovak. There was so much hair in a corner the other day I thought we had a new puppy - I even started to wonder about names.;-)

PS My two (three including Purdey) continue to flourish and delight.:grin:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    :lol: :lol: there`s me told then :lol: :lol:

Love em any which way :lol:
  15. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    On my wish list :) lovely dogs
  16. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Gave handstripping a go... Not sure who enjoyed it more! Can't believe how much was ready to come out! How often should it be done? David... Any chance of some more pics? ;)
  17. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    :lol: It's quite addictive isn't it?! I don't do Oscar very often as he's not being shown, so it's purely as and when to keep his coat tidy. So I would just evaluate it on a week by week basis depending upon how you want her to look, the more you do it the less coat she'll have. Obviously! :lol:
  18. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Thanks Rips :)