I can't help looking at them even though I've been warned off (weimaraner) General Chat

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by x-clo-x, Jun 1, 2011.

1. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  4. Jenn~n~Luke

Jenn~n~Luke New Member

Name:
    Jenn

I have to agree. A lot of the dogs you are interested in, are VERY different from eachother in atleast one major way, some in many ways. It's hard to immagine a person who has a lifestyle that is truly that adaptable or versatile i guess you could say, where they could reliably and reasonably accomodate such different breeds. Especially all at the same time. It's one thing to say because you really like a breed, that you can adapt, and you may, for a short period of time. But doing so for the entire life of a dog, is another story.
    There are many breeds that I like....but I am honest with myself and realize that for who I am, and the life I lead, the only breeds I could give my BEST to, is the mastiff family. COULD i adjust my life to manage another breed...sure...but would it be the best thing for me long term and for the dog? No.
    That being said, you're not me and I'm not you, but from what you say in different posts that you'd like to do with a dog, you have a wide variety of differences to pick from.;-)
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Yes , thats exactly what I mean, sorry I did not make myself clear.

CC`s can be very energetic bolshy little dogs, but they are what they are "toy" breeds, and I wonder if sometimes one may make the mistaken judgment, that it will be no different owning a bolshy energetic larger breed.

I have a friend with 2 CC`s and a chi, and never a more bolshy trio can you ever wish to meet. but put all three up against my Boxer who can and is a nightmare (not half as bad as the terrible threesome) and they pale into insignificance , being compared with a large powerful dog with a bit of attitude, or even simply down to strength and size and energy levels... the two cant possible compare.
  6. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    It can happen Jackie and can work. I went from owning/showing L/C Chihuahuas and Griffon Bruxeollis to Boxers. Granted when my last Griffon died my choice was a CKCS however I was over ruled as the others in the house wanted either a Boxer or a Labrador [spent early part of my childhood with Labs]. As you said yourself it is quite diverse going from tinies to Boxers. So although it would be my dog and my responsibility and me paying all the bills :lol: I still had to conceed and fit in with the rest of the household.

However I would be very dubious about bringing a high energy pup into a household with resident toy breeds. When I got my first Boxer it was the only dog in the household as the others had all gone to the rainbow bridge

To me it was not a big change - she came as a puppy and a delightful one at that. when she was 9 months old we took on two more puppies [together] so in effect we had 3 puppies at any one time for a long time as Boxers mature later :mrgreen: Of course I was a younger then:p

Perhaps the Poster needs to distance herself a bit and look at it from the point of view from her resident dogs [and cats] and think what would fit in with them - I mean no disrespect whatsoever to the Poster as clearly she has thought a lot about this. I am just thinking from the view point of someone who has had tiny dogs and how I would go about it:mrgreen:
  7. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Havent got time to read back over the posts but did anybody say Weims were difficult to train SB? I know people said they were challenging.

I dont suppose any dog is difficult to train if you are aware of and prepared to take into account breed traits and tailor your training to suit. Alot of people would wrongly assume that because they've owned and trained a GSP, they could apply that training and experience to a Brittany for example, because they are after all part of the same group right? But they'd be in for a shock though since GSP's are fairly biddable and Brits are self employed.

I certainly wouldnt say Weims are "difficult" to train because they are very intelligent dogs but they could be a nightmare if you went in with your eyes closed.
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The problems arise when people assume that all dogs have the same outlook on life.

Weimaraners (like many breeds) are not "handler dependent" like some other breeds (eg GSD) so that for those used ONLY to owning and training handler dependent dogs the initiative shown by some of the HPR group in particular can be bewildering.

EG I have a Weimaraner and a GSD, once I release them, one can be 5 fields away and happily spend hours going self employed hunting.

I can spend the whole day tripping over the GSD! ;)

It is not they are difficult to train per se, but you have to compete with what they were bred for.

Many breeds have the same energy (eg Boxers, Dalmations) but they do not HUNT, which is what the Weimaraner was bred for.

It is something when manning Discover Dogs I had to get across to people. Lots say "I am torn between a Weimaraner and a Dobermann they are so similar" when they are talking about looks.

It is the NATURE of a dog that has to be considered when purchasing one in order to consider if those predispositions have been thought through including the possible consequences and if you can live with them.

Many can't which is why so many are in rescue, especially adolescent males who can be a bit "wearing".

Some people are "lucky" and they get a Weim that behaves like something else; many others are hunting machines, have few brakes and when you say "jump" they MAY deign to look at you before ignoring you......... :)

When I knew nothing I spent two years bashing my head against a brick wall before it dawned on me that all the people giving me advice had only owned and trained pastoral breeds and had not got a clue on what makes a Grey Ghost tick!
  9. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I know mine is a x, but she has pretty much Put me off for life!!

She bloodied someone nose not long after I had her (admittedly the womans fault!) - I have never had a dog more destructive, and she would b****r off hunting given the chance. She learnt how to open her crate as well which was fun!!

However - She is a phenomenal dog to train (First Advanced HtM dog in Cornwall) and Loves Agility (although when she gets excited has very little spacial awareness!). Very Toy motivated and if there are no toys about food will do as well.

She is very aware of personal space - and although will not go looking for trouble, she is not keen on 'rude' dogs.
    Her nickname is 'the Idiot' for a good reason. Self control is hard for her.
  10. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I boarded one a few years back for a fortnight (Smokeybear did warn me on another forum) and he half killed me (and my mutts!) He was a lovely dog, but boy did he need " alot" I was walking him a good 5 miles a day (all on lead, because he wasnt allowed off, and I wouldnt have anyway) get home, and he was still rarring to go, and then needed brain work too.

Utterly, utterly stunning, and Kerrie snuggled up to him quite often (hussy!) but would I own one? Hell no! LOL

I also sat a CC, as it has been said, it is a big jump from the CC in terms of needs and temperment/outlook on life and needs. (not meaning to be patronising here)

Maybe you could pop along to a working trial/gundog event and meet some of the breeds/handlers and see what advice they give
  11. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
  12. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    yes what ive read about the history of them ive been quite facinated by what ive read.
    id like to show one, but ideally one that still has its working instincts, as id like to do some gundog work too.
    that last bit makes me feel good, just shows if you put the work in you can do well :grin:

13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
  14. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    I know all the dogs i like are so different and thats why im having such a hard time deciding which one i would like :lol:
    i could adapt, as i live for my dogs and i do everything thats best for them, ive turned down nights out etc, because id rather buy that new bed for them, or dont want to leave them on their own for that ammount of time etc.. exercise requirements dont bother me. i love walking, the dogs i have now love walking (not particularly when its raining) but if the dog i got next NEEDED to go out rain or shine then we would go. the cresteds dont mind sleeping, it seems to be what they do best :lol: and if it had to be just taking the one out on its own then fine. and yes i do have a wide variety :lol: id love to try everything with dogs, they really are my passion, and i would try agility, obedience, ringcraft, gundog work, working a dog on a rig etc, ive even had a little go at sheepdog work :lol:
  16. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Ours dont like the rain (& wind) either :)
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    ahh oh i get what you mean now.. and i understand a bigger dog is going to be more powerful, and thats the main difference. i dont think its to do with attitude (like you said the three littleuns are bad) but the fact they are bigger means they are going to have more force behind them..
  18. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    One of mine doesnt like rain, but she still has to go out....she is horrid otherwise
  19. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Ours look in distaste at the rain/wind in back garden, get ready to go out front door with great enthusiasm until they go out:mrgreen: Living at the sea, we get a fair amount of wind & rain:grin:
  20. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
  21. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I am mean, I still take them out. No matter the face pulling or pleading eyes. Kerrie will try to toilet as quick as possible, and then head back for home.