I can't help looking at them even though I've been warned off (weimaraner) General Chat

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by x-clo-x, Jun 1, 2011.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    by researching the breed that is what im doing, narrowing it down. for instance pug and bulldogs have already been taken off the list.. and i dont know if a malamute is for me either after some research ive done, but im not sure. but the list isnt as long as it once was.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    For fwiw, I have a very long list of breeds that I would love to own. But the realist in me says that most of them, I wont ever get to. Whether that be because of time (lack of) fianance (ditto) or something about the breed turns me off. Hopefully I have a long long long way to go before I need to think of a pup tho!

How are things with the OH today?
  4. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Can i ask why you have gone off Pugs? Theyre brilliant dogs full of character and charisma :) I wouldn't cross one off my list :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i know there are alot i wont own, but id like to think my researching them (well trying to!) that im doing the right thing.

me and the OH are better today thank you :mrgreen: hes taking me out for a meal to apologise :lol:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    well maybe not off my list forever :lol: but i do want a bigger breed as my next dog, and a pug isnt very big :lol: also the fact that you have to be careful what times you walk them, how long for etc, puts me off a bit as i like to go on long walks with my dogs, and i wouldnt want to leave it at home because it couldnt cope or the weather was too warm.
  7. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    too bloody right!

any more thoughts on the moving out front?
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    we are leaving our names on the list, and just going to see what happens. once i explained it wasnt going to be straight away i.e. next week :roll: he seemed to calm down a bit. and once i showed him some of the housing available he didnt think they were too bad. hes never grown up in a council house or anything, so he believed what his mum had told him :roll: he thought they were like big rough estates like on the program shameless :roll: :lol: so god knows what his mum had said!
  9. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    how long are you going to wait for somewhere to turn up? must be a horrid situation to be in, want to move out, but have to be kept waiting
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i dont know to be honest... we shall see what happens. there is no way i could afford to private rent, because around here you are looking at at least £450 a month and the houses really arent very nice that are available and not suitable for the dogs. my dad does have a house that he rents out, and i might see about asking him when their leese runs out. its only a 2 up 2 down, but thats an option. failing that there is a static home site near us, surrounded by a forest, which sounds ideal for the dogs :grin: but they are £450 a month. we are putting some money away, well him more because ive not been working, so you never know a morgage could be on the cards in a few years... all a bit difficult really.
  11. tokiayla

tokiayla New Member

Name:
    Kay
    My mum had a weim up til a few months ago.
    I know all dogs are different but that put me off them - I wouldn't have one. It's put my mum off having ANY dog again!
    She had her moments but she was totally neurotic & not an easy dog at all. Very demanding. That said, from the age of about 8 til she died at 13, she did calm down - a bit. She was sweet but unlike any other dog I have met! Give me an easy GSD any day!
    Good luck with whatever you decide but be ready for some hard work!
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Fortunately very few dogs of any breed are neurotic! ;)
  13. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I know you said you didnt want to talk about housing but you seem to be doing so anyway so i'll just throw in what I know to be true about the number of dogs allowed in a property.

I live in a council house with my parents, they've lived here over 30 years. The last set of T&C's stated that 2 dogs were allowed in a property without permission. Anymore had to be agreed. Thats just this council of course but I would generalise and say that there are stipulations across most councils with regards to how many dogs are permitted in a property. Of course, they may not follow up on those rules.
  14. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Gotta say, I've had a flat since I was 17, but that was because I was living in a B&B down Iffley road in Oxford for a while as emergency accomadation and they had to find me somewhere ;) its different to just getting a flat straight from living somewhere perement, and tbh I've been on the bidding system ever since looking for somewhere more dog friendly (I live in a one bed in town centre above a hair dressers and carpet shop), and I know how hard it is to get anywhere, as for all it is I'm in a place, even though it was meant to be tempory and I was meant to be out by now, but the assocaition I'm with are happy for me to live here, thankfully though my rooms are quite large, my living rooms massive, containing a chinchilla cage, tv, a couch a chair a table and chair and a rabbit run etc with enough room still, and my bedrooms a simalar size, so I really did get lucky with mine, but I also know someone with five kids and herself in a three bedroom, where there isn't enough space, but is struggling to get anywhere, it seems that if you have a roof over your head you can wait or go private your choice, but that wait might be a long time.

Be prepared to wait then, I know the frustrations ;) I have to say I live with my two in a flat, but I wouldn't have anymore, as even in a large flat I think that we would be fighting for space, and I'm one that thinks that you can have dogs that live in flats that are better off then dogs in houses, as in a flat you have no choice but to walk them and make sure that they get out enough, otherwise you get wet carpets.
  15. Hevvur

Hevvur New Member

Name:
    Heather
    I know my local council doesn't have restrictions on dogs....shame about that....cos my next door neighbours have 4 LARGE breed dogs, and a house down the road has 6 (Huskys and rotties!), and their house is only the size of mine (small), and they have a smaller garden!